Breathing rate, air integrated computers and DCI correlation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would be good at this game, since my bottom timer doesn't have alarms
No, the reality is you may be in violation. However since you don't have an air integrated computer w/ a heart rate monitor, your profiles would not show workload alarms based on increased heart rate or respiration. Moreover you may indeed have ascent alarms, but you just don't know for lack of current available info. present on up-to-date technology.

I would suggest raising your hand up slower.

Does that reduce your risk of DCS? Or is that required to compensate for a computer limitation?

---------- Post added September 16th, 2013 at 02:11 PM ----------

Well I guess if you say so, it must be true. This " fact" only further supports the benefits of the Scubapro's computer algotithm, ZHL8 ADT MB.

The fact is that there are bubbles. What some dive computer does with that is another matter. There are a number of decompression algorithms used by various dive computers. While some are considered more liberal than other, none have proven to be any more or less successful in helping diver avoid DCI.

While some are considered more liberal than other, none have proven to be any more or less successful in helping diver avoid DCI.

Not true. More specificially, it's a statement that can't be supported by any evidence. No one tracks what computers are being used when people are treated at chambers so we don't have any data, let alone enough data to draw a supportable conclusion, about how many people got bent on computer A, B, or C. And no one knows/tracks how many people dive on a computer and don;t get bent on that dive so you can;t establish any kind of a relative rate. Furthermore, there's no way to "prove" a computer helped you avoid getting the bends since there's no way to show you would have gotten bent with a different computer. People get bent within limits and people don't get bent who exceed them and vice-versa. The computers are al lbased on mathematical models that may or may not pertain to your particular body physiology on a specific dive and day.

- Ken

While some are considered more liberal than other, none have proven to be any more or less successful in helping diver avoid DCI.
Back in the early '80's, we were using the EDGE dive computer. It was more liberal. We were able to do some extreme diving using the EDGE. We were young & willing to take the risk. ( We didn't think about living past the old age of 40! )

In 1987, Uwatec came out w/ the 1st version of the Aladin Pro. Many divers liked this version because it was more liberal.

I believe the present dive computers that we are using, w/ the more conservative Uwatec algorithm, give us a lower risk of the Bends.

Not true. More specificially, it's a statement that can't be supported by any evidence. No one tracks what computers are being used when people are treated at chambers so we don't have any data, let alone enough data to draw a supportable conclusion, about how many people got bent on computer A, B, or C. And no one knows/tracks how many people dive on a computer and don;t get bent on that dive so you can;t establish any kind of a relative rate. Furthermore, there's no way to "prove" a computer helped you avoid getting the bends since there's no way to show you would have gotten bent with a different computer. People get bent within limits and people don't get bent who exceed them and vice-versa. The computers are al lbased on mathematical models that may or may not pertain to your particular body physiology on a specific dive and day.

- Ken

To be clear - which of my statements are you saying is not true?

I'm pretty sure I can find evidence that some are considered more liberal than others.

And the lack of any safety related evidence is exactly what I am referring to with my claim that "...none have proven to be any more of less successful....".

Or are you agreeing with me?

No, the reality is you may be in violation. However since you don't have an air integrated computer w/ a heart rate monitor, your profiles would not show workload alarms based on increased heart rate or respiration. Moreover you may indeed have ascent alarms, but you just don't know for lack of current available info. present on up-to-date technology.

I know that I am not in violation, just not willing to spend 2000 dollars to prove it.

...and you can bet that after reading this thread, if I did fork out some money for a computer, it most definitely would not be a ScubaPro or Uwatec.

I believe the present dive computers that we are using, w/ the more conservative Uwatec algorithm, give us a lower risk of the Bends.

Belief is a very powerful thing. When it is misplaced, it can be expensive, or even dangerous.

Beaverdivers, why would I need that? I don't dive in such a way as to get my heart rate up. I'm into zen diving.

I would suggest raising your hand up slower. You would never "win" if your profile almost always showed red ascent alarms.

Does that reduce your risk of DCS? Or is that required to compensate for a computer limitation?

On a recent thread that mentioned the raised arm giving a false quick ascent alarm, someone who seemed to be in the know asserted that most modern computers have already dealt with this by not giving an alarm unless the rapid ascent continues past a certain minimum distance. I have no idea if this is true myself, and I frankly don't care.

On a recent thread that mentioned the raised arm giving a false quick ascent alarm, someone who seemed to be in the know asserted that most modern computers have already dealt with this by not giving an alarm unless the rapid ascent continues past a certain minimum distance. I have no idea if this is true myself, and I frankly don't care.
Me neither as my arm is firmly attached to my camera rig, which only move where I move :p

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom