Breathable Drysuits

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Taath

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Breathable drysuits: do they really make a big difference? Does it make the gearing up process a little less miserable?

I live in Arizona. Even in the winter it can be a very sweaty experience getting geared up in my drysuit and all that sweat leads to condensation inside and chills me on the dive.

Also, what breathable drysuits are there out there? I'm aware of the Waterproof D9 and D9X as well as the Fusion Aircore.....

@Deep Six does a good custom fit. Good price too. The Northern Diver Milspec is also very well priced at the moment due to the exchange rate.

Diving DS here in the Gulf, all my friends only use breathable else it gets to be a lousy experience pre and post dive

breathable suits are breathable like goretex is breathable, they use very similar technology. They will not make a significant difference in your diving comfort at the surface. You are still in a black bag with negligible air flow....

The Deep6 is breathable?
Huh. Was sure it was for some reason, went and had a look at the site, doesn't say either way but presumably if it was it would be advertised as such.

UTD does a breathable as well

Huh. Was sure it was for some reason, went and had a look at the site, doesn't say either way but presumably if it was it would be advertised as such.

UTD does a breathable as well

UTD's is made by Rofos and I would highly recommend getting a Rofos directly from DRiS if you go that route. I have one of their suits and it is absolutely incredible. I chose not to get the breathable because as someone who does a lot of work with breathable fabrics, their lifespan and durability is questionable at best since the coating is more prone to wear than the traditional laminates
Breathable RS350TR Drysuit - Dive Right in Scuba
that is their breathable suit

Breathable drysuits: do they really make a big difference? Does it make the gearing up process a little less miserable?.

I have a D9X and like it a lot. It is WAY nicer for gearing up and surface intervals than my Bare compressed neoprene suit. But, I have no direct experience to compare it to a non-breathable shell suit.

That said, I have 30 years experience riding motorcycles, with a lot of experience in non-breathable textile jackets and pants and also breathable (e.g. Gore-tex and similar) jackets and pants.

My experience is that breathable does not make a huge difference - but it DOES make a difference and it is worth having (to me). My experience so far is getting out of the water and being clammy on the inside happens a lot more with my Bare suit than my breathable suit.

I've been looking at the Argonaut Hybrid Kevlar suit. From what I've read, it is a really nice suit and their custom fitting process works really well. If I could afford a new suit, I would get one of theirs custom made to measure. But, the D9X fits me pretty darn well, so I am really quite happy with it. I just want to spend money on it to add permanent dry glove rings, a Si Tech Quick Neck system, and change it from attached boots to neoprene socks. And for all that money, I'd be a decent way towards just getting a new suit with those features already built in.

The D9X is also a pretty good price, for what it is. And the D9 is a really good price. A D9 with some glued on pockets would be pretty darn inexpensive. The only question is whether if it would fit you well and if it's heavy duty enough for what you want to use it for. The D9X material is not exactly heavy duty and the D9 is even lighter duty. The D9X is not the right suit if you're going to be doing much in the way of wreck penetrations or cave restrictions. Or banging into coral.

I don't have a huge amount of Drysuit experience, in that I've only owned 1 for a year.

However living in Dubai, I'm more familiar than most with hot humid temps.

I have the Fourth Element Argonaut Kevlar, chosen (amongst other things) for it's breathability It's also not black which I feel helps

I use mine for water temps between 70F - 80F during those times the air temps will be between 70F and 95F I can kit up and be okay, certainly more comfortable than a wet suit. I have the very minimum of condensation post dive, and am happy to keep it on while getting a coffee etc while other s are scrambling to get their kit off (when its warm)

When I first go it (it arrived in the summer) I tried it on in the house. I had also taken delivery on the same shipment of a sharkskin 1 piece suit

The inside temp of our house would be around 85F ( around 120F outdoors) and i tried on the sharkskin first - I over temped very quickly and was hot and sticky. When I put my DS on even with the under garment there was no such issue

So I'm a big fan of breathable Dry suits.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom