Breakwater anemones

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That is interesting. Especially since I use one particular anemone at Shale Island as a landmark. It's always in the same spot. Maybe they don't all move?
Perhaps it has no desire to move? If you are in a good spot I guess there wouldn't be a need.

I can answer that question quite easily Mr. Miller. As a reef hobbyist for over 20 years, I have kept all sorts of anemones in captivity.

Anenomes have a foot which they use to walk or anchor themselves to a platform. Once they are situated on this platform they are next to impossible to move, unless it's on smooth glass.

Water currents draw their attention for placement, some species prefer the rougher currents while others do not; Rose Anenomes have shown interest in stronger currents while the Carpet anemones prefer softer currents.

There is also the nutrient value of currents, an Anenome will move when the water current doesn't yield a good amount of trace elements. So water quality is also an indicator of this movement.

Lastly some Anenomes are more prone to photosynthesis than others, so natural Sunlight will cause them to situate themselves in locations that better receive this symbiotic relationship.

These answers have been provided to me from past hobbyist and my own natural observations with them in my reeftanks.

Also, Mike it's to no surprise that what the above diver saw in the movement of 12 hours is uncommon. Mike they sometimes will detach completely and allow the current to carry them away until they land on another suitable place, where they anchor themselves. So I would be more prone to believe that they didn't move this by walking, but rather by going water born, makes for a quicker ride.

MG

Interesting stuff, thanks.

I hope the "Lone Metridium" doesn't get lonely and go out for a stroll... we'd have to rename a bunch of the maps

Thanks for the interesting info on wayward anemonies

There's something sort of Wild West about the "Lone Medtridium". Where is it?

Just a little past the Hole in the Wall...

BAUE Printable Map

I suspect, and Gombessa (who estimated its position for the map) agrees that the position of Lone Metridium shown is probably inaccurate, and may well be on the feature north of and slightly east of the point shown, along the 70 foot contour. When I checked the depth there, LM was at 61 feet on the side of a wall, with the depth at the bottom of that same wall at 72' (that day). It's on the NE side as you approach from HiTW. I'd never been there before so was searching for it a lot shallower, as shown on the map. Couldn't find it using the map location, but stumbled on it by accident considerably deeper than indicated.

Guy

I can answer that question quite easily Mr. Miller. As a reef hobbyist for over 20 years, I have kept all sorts of anemones in captivity.

Anenomes have a foot which they use to walk or anchor themselves to a platform. Once they are situated on this platform they are next to impossible to move, unless it's on smooth glass.

Water currents draw their attention for placement, some species prefer the rougher currents while others do not; Rose Anenomes have shown interest in stronger currents while the Carpet anemones prefer softer currents.

There is also the nutrient value of currents, an Anenome will move when the water current doesn't yield a good amount of trace elements. So water quality is also an indicator of this movement.

Lastly some Anenomes are more prone to photosynthesis than others, so natural Sunlight will cause them to situate themselves in locations that better receive this symbiotic relationship.

These answers have been provided to me from past hobbyist and my own natural observations with them in my reeftanks.

Also, Mike it's to no surprise that what the above diver saw in the movement of 12 hours is uncommon. Mike they sometimes will detach completely and allow the current to carry them away until they land on another suitable place, where they anchor themselves. So I would be more prone to believe that they didn't move this by walking, but rather by going water born, makes for a quicker ride.

MG

What we observed is that they detached from the substrate and tumbled along the bottom like a tumbleweed. That has to be risky behavior. I'm trying to find a control area to study it further.

What we observed is that they detached from the substrate and tumbled along the bottom like a tumbleweed. That has to be risky behavior. I'm trying to find a control area to study it further.

Interesting you mention what I was suspecting in these sessile inverts... I've witnessed them do it in captivity but never seen it in the wild...

I suspect wheareas it might be risky behavior, also take a look at how much energy it must save in getting to another location quickly?

MG

The map is close enough... go past hole in the wall... hang a left... it's the only Metridium there. :)

That assumes you can find HiTW.:D We didn't on that dive (and I've never seen it, but that was the first time I was looking for it or LM - I'm usually over at Granite Point Wall, or else drop deeper than HiTW). I was navigating by the contour lines on the map, which is why I didn't spot LM where I expected. Instead, we just spotted it 35-40 feet away more or less by accident, after we'd abandoned our 'official' search and continued the dive.

Guy

Back
Top Bottom