Breakwater anemones

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

np251

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi there

Me and KLJ were out on Breakwater Wall on Sunday when we came across a couple of big fish-eating anemones in about 40 feet. We were just wondering if anyone knew how far along the walll they are- roughly what number marker? We do the wall a lot, but this was our first time seeing them.

Also, saw an awesome little octopus out in the sand- done all the cool octopus things before squeezing itself down a very small hole. Very Awesome!

Thanks

I saw 2 octopi when I was at Breakwater with MikeG on Saturday. One was in the sand, the other one was attached to a piece of kelp, flapping back and forth. Tried to show my buddies but they motioned me to not stop and keep up with the guy in front.

Anenomes are not sessile, that is, they do move around. I tracked four tagged giant green sea anemones for a project recently and two moved as much as forty feet in a single twelve hour period (quite fast for an anemone)

It's likely they've moved since you've been in the water.

Nomad

I saw 2 octopi when I was at Breakwater with MikeG on Saturday. One was in the sand, the other one was attached to a piece of kelp, flapping back and forth. Tried to show my buddies but they motioned me to not stop and keep up with the guy in front.

Wow, wonder what the chances are that we all saw the same couple of octopii?

Anenomes are not sessile, that is, they do move around. I tracked four tagged giant green sea anemones for a project recently and two moved as much as forty feet in a single twelve hour period (quite fast for an anemone)

It's likely they've moved since you've been in the water.

Nomad

np251 here

Wow, i was under the impression that anemones were largely sessile. Particularly when they got to any appreciable size. I had no idea they actually moved to that degree- that is so cool. Thanks for the info

Surprised the hell out of me too. Consulted a couple biologists and they were a bit perplexed at the rate of movement. They move according to water movement, food supply and and to a lesser extent, water temperature according to the science type people.

Currents change, anemones move. Go figure

That is interesting. Especially since I use one particular anemone at Shale Island as a landmark. It's always in the same spot. Maybe they don't all move?

The next question is "how do they move?" This is quite interesting.

I can answer that question quite easily Mr. Miller. As a reef hobbyist for over 20 years, I have kept all sorts of anemones in captivity.

Anenomes have a foot which they use to walk or anchor themselves to a platform. Once they are situated on this platform they are next to impossible to move, unless it's on smooth glass.

Water currents draw their attention for placement, some species prefer the rougher currents while others do not; Rose Anenomes have shown interest in stronger currents while the Carpet anemones prefer softer currents.

There is also the nutrient value of currents, an Anenome will move when the water current doesn't yield a good amount of trace elements. So water quality is also an indicator of this movement.

Lastly some Anenomes are more prone to photosynthesis than others, so natural Sunlight will cause them to situate themselves in locations that better receive this symbiotic relationship.

These answers have been provided to me from past hobbyist and my own natural observations with them in my reeftanks.

Also, Mike it's to no surprise that what the above diver saw in the movement of 12 hours is uncommon. Mike they sometimes will detach completely and allow the current to carry them away until they land on another suitable place, where they anchor themselves. So I would be more prone to believe that they didn't move this by walking, but rather by going water born, makes for a quicker ride.

MG

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom