Breakwater 1-11-09 Photos

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Chuck,

It's picture #24 but as usual I think I'm way off base and it's either a rock or some sort of crab. The strange feature of the photo is there is a hole that looks like an eyeball next to a feature that looks like a snout. In any case, the photos are wonderful. I can't wait until I can spring the cash for one of these underwater digital cameras. I will consult the pro's on this site before making that move. Devin had some sort of pvc flash unit he was building from scratch. perhaps this is to avoid the $400 for the new strobe flash units.

When I did my dive at Lovers, it seemed that the better macro photography critters were in shallower water, and as we got to 40+ feet, the reef critters weren't as dynamic but the fish and kelp were in greater numbers.

It's always amazing to see what pictures divers come up with here.

Blewgrass: What kelp encrusted fish? I went looking and didn't fine one,
what's the picture number?

Mike: That looks more like a blue rockfish in the ling's mouth to me.

Robin, the color is OK, but you need to punch up the contrast. Autolevels
will probably fix it. And if you aim the strobes up a bit more, you'll have
less of a problem in the originals. Aim the strobes up as much as you
can get away with. The farther away the subject, the more you can
point them up. Digital makes it easy to check -- try some practice shots
of a big rock.

blewgrass, yeah thats a crab. it had a big snout alright. he didnt seem too happy posing for me.

Thanks for the tips on strobe aiming. I'll try it next time. The cod was on the move and that photo is punched up about as much as possible. The original is almost black. I was taking photos of a nudi when that thing went by. I didnt have time to readjust.

Steve-The cost of the strobe is difficult to avoid, though I may try to make one at some point. I did make a PVC tray and am using locline arms...which cost me all of about $20..the tray and arm can be suprisingly expensive. With some new cree mce's and a photoresistor I figure I could make a pretty effective strobe for about $100 plus batteries..may work on that when I get some free time. A few projects to work on first though.

Robin- Sounds like the solution is that second strobe!..They are looking good though.

-Devin

Last edited:
Devin,

Maybe you can work that into a school project? Earn a grade in engineering just in time for some summer diving pics! I can see by reading here I have a great deal of learning to do about underwater photography. I'll have to admire others photos until lightning strikes my bank account.

Steve

Robin,

I condensed the video of the seal and the lincod attacking the blue rockfish (thanks chuck), I had to use the edit on my camera because I don't have any editing software on my computer.

View My Video[/URL]

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom