BREAKING NEWS: New Lionfish Legislature For Florida!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As far as our tax dollars at work - a better use might be to pay a bounty on them. I remember when wolves, fox, and a number of other species were almost wiped out when people could make a (meager) living by killing. Same should be done for wild pigs, burmese pythons, monitor lizards, etc. Just letting people kill them isn't enough. There should be some financial incentive.

You're talking about elephants to ants...

Wolves consist of 8-12 animals over a 1000 acre area, they reproduce in small litters, the pups must stay with a mother for months and months to be taught how to survive, they roam in an area that man can walk in with little to no trouble and be picked off with a fire arm from a 1/2 mile away.

Lion fish - In 1000 acres you have potentially 10s of thousands of lionfish, they reproduce in huge numbers by means of eggs that are cast out and require no maintenance or rearing or teaching, they live in a habitat that man can only easily cover the first 130 feet of depth leaving everything beyond untouchable where lion fish reproduce unmolested and move from depth to refill the shallow areas as faster as they can be culled, man can only reach out and pick off a lion fish from 3 ft away.

You can put the bounty at a million dollars a fish and it wouldn't change a thing.

Yes, it is like putting a bounty on moquitoes or black flies. It only takes a very few residual specimens to repopulate the niche.

The folks at REEF teach a GREAT program on Lion Fish in Key Largo! According to their research, efforts to coax predatory behavior towards Lion Fish have failed - Carib and Atlantic fish just don't know what to make of them! Yes, bounties and netting, spearing and eating will not stop this thing that eats like a vacuum and reproduces like a rabbit. But if the politicians have gotten some hint of what's going on, maybe the NOAA and peeps who run the Florida Marine Sanctuary Program will let divers kill the buggers on site (prohibited today without a permit - a permit that allows netting only...).

-this is no slam on reefman - I dont know his intent with this link----

I've never heard of "The Week" so I have no idea of what kind of articles they produce or readership they have. That said, anytime I read a headline that has deliberately provocative words that conflict with each other, it screams to me starving writer or just out of college writer. "murdering" and "backfiring" just make me say "huh?" And true to form, the article has no substance - lots of maybes, and mights, and path leading. Typical trash writing that tells us nothing. Though I suppose someone has to write trash for us to appreciate good informative articles...YMMV

i read an article the other day --... saying that the open season on lion fish in florida is helping...

but this one is encouraging..
Sharks, grouper learn to prey on lionfish :: cayCompass.com

Research from Little Cayman suggests that large grouper and nurse sharks are starting to prey on lionfish – a potentially game changing development in the Atlantic wide battle against the invasive predator.
A new study which involved lionfish being tethered to lead weights and observed using GoPro video cameras, showed that native species are starting to eat lionfish without them being speared by divers.

The study showed that predation was over ten times more likely on sites that had been routinely culled by scuba divers, indicating the behavior may have been learned from humans.
In their study, the researchers from the University of Florida suggest that predators will supplement, but not replace, the efforts of divers to rid the Atlantic of the invasive, voracious predator which is decimating local fish populations across the region.
“Overall, results suggested that native predators were capable of consuming healthy, tethered lionfish off Little Cayman Island and the naïveté of native predators was overcome by conditioning.
“Of course, conditioning designed to increase predation on lionfish, augment culling, and help control the invasion must be implemented without endangering people,” wrote the researchers Jessica Diller, Thomas Frazer and Charles Jacoby in the Journal of Experimental Marine Biology and Ecology.
Culling lionfish in the presence of sharks, eels and barracuda is problematic because it has led to an increase in reports of divers being bumped, and in some cases bitten, by predators as they compete for the catch.
The lionfish’s rapid population boom in the Atlantic has been attributed to an absence of natural predators.
It had previously been thought that native fish would only prey on dead or injured lionfish after they had been speared by divers.
The news that several species are now beginning to hunt lionfish on their own represents a significant breakthrough in the battle to prevent Caribbean reefs from becoming overwhelmed.
Neil van Niekerk, of Southern Cross dive center which provided logistical support to the researchers, said the results emphasized the importance of culling by divers.
“What the research shows is that on reefs where we actively cull, predators are learning to hunt lionfish.
“Predators are eventually going to learn on their own anyway, but that could take 50 years. Our reefs and our dive tourism can’t wait that long.”
The research project involved 132 lionfish collected from Little Cayman’s reefs, tethered to lead weights with monofilament fishing line and placed at strategic points around the island during the early afternoon. The test fish were split between three habitats – regularly culled reefs, rarely culled reefs, and seagrass where no culling occurred.
Fish that were missing from cleanly broken tethers the next morning were recorded as “predation events.” Predation was 13 times more likely on culled reefs than on rarely culled reefs and 28 times more likely on culled reefs than on seagrass.
“The potential for predation documented at our intensely culled reefs indicated that native predators conditioned to eat lionfish killed or injured during culls learned to hunt, capture and consume this novel prey without human intervention,” the researchers wrote.
Video surveillance at the sites documented nurse sharks and Nassau grouper feeding on the tethered lionfish.
The researchers acknowledge the process of tethering the lionfish could have made them more vulnerable to predators. But they suggest this was not a major factor, pointing out that the tethered fish deployed their normal defense mechanisms.
“Videos showed that tethered fish behaved similarly to untethered lionfish by hovering near the substrate within minutes of deployment and employing a typical response to predators.
“Despite this latter behavior, videos documented predation by nurse sharks and Nassau grouper, with predators not deterred by contact with the venomous spines.”
Authorities in Jamaica, meanwhile, are reporting more positive news in the lionfish battle.
Jamaica’s National Environment and Planning Agency is reporting a 66 percent drop in sightings of lionfish in coastal waters, attributed largely to the efforts of cullers and a growing appetite for lionfish fillets.

was just thinking about what land animal/insect to compare the lionfish to.... first thought was mosquitos/flies in how quickly they reproduce

..........filed HB 1069 and SB 1336 to address the devastation being caused by lionfish in Florida’s coastal waters.

The house bill died in committee and was not advanced.

I saw the same article. My daughter was looking for a state current event to write about and that article happened to be in the paper that day. She was excited because she knows how much I like diving and it allowed to her to feel like part of it.

Back
Top Bottom