BREAKING NEWS: New Lionfish Legislature For Florida!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lol - why would anyone import lionfish halfway across the world when there are MORE in local waters.

At this point if anyone releases a lionfish that was imported its going to make a difference?

Yeah, it will because there are more than one species of lionfish and they don't all necessarily have the same ecological niche. We don't need any additional invasive species.

As far as our tax dollars at work - a better use might be to pay a bounty on them. I remember when wolves, fox, and a number of other species were almost wiped out when people could make a (meager) living by killing. Same should be done for wild pigs, burmese pythons, monitor lizards, etc. Just letting people kill them isn't enough. There should be some financial incentive.

Yes its late to the game wrt to legislation, but it does stem the tide while we fix our problem...so I guess that's something worth while.

Yeah, it will because there are more than one species of lionfish and they don't all necessarily have the same ecological niche. We don't need any additional invasive species.

As far as our tax dollars at work - a better use might be to pay a bounty on them. I remember when wolves, fox, and a number of other species were almost wiped out when people could make a (meager) living by killing. Same should be done for wild pigs, burmese pythons, monitor lizards, etc. Just letting people kill them isn't enough. There should be some financial incentive.

they won't pay a bounty -- but you can get a restaurant or two to buy the fish... providing a bit a money and exposing the taste of lionfish to more people..

now i'm hungry for lionfish tacos :(

I killed 2000 pounds last year,plan to triple that this year.There is a market but making money involves landing enough to justify the risk.

They are beyond our ability to clear out already,with an established range beyond recreational depth and in areas to remote to see regular removal.Best we can hope for is adaptations by predators to include them in their diet.

Trumpetfish are their natural predator in SE Asia. Wonder how we can get Caribbean trumpets interested.

Didn't all of those have natural predators in addition to human hunters?

Didn't all of those have natural predators in addition to human hunters?

Maybe fox, hawks, eagles, though I can't think of any. Certainly not wolves. They are the apex predator in an ecosystem.

Back
Top Bottom