Breaking news from the whale wars

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kill em all, let God sort em out! :rofl3:

Finally! The voice of reason!
Seriously, if you remove the emotion from the argument, it's about destruction of property. Period. If someone was hell-bent on destroing my property (especially if I felt it posed a risk to my personal safety or that of my occupants- I have an obligation to protect them, ya know) I would feel more justified using whatever means necessary- including deadly force- to bring it to an end.

Unless I am endangering your family or friends, you do not have the right to do so to me or mine. And here in the great state of Texas, I can use deadly force if I feel my life is in danger. And I likely won't be considered a criminal/murderer/whatever. So please, if you want to throw rancid butter at my house or limit my ability to move about unhindered, you'd best hope you can outrun me (or a bullet).

Thank you for keeping this nightmare going long enough to make me post. Time to wake up and start a new day...

That's right, Antarctic waters are very dangerous, and the attempt by the Ady to foul the props (etc), is putting lives at risk and thus prompting to ships captains to take action - defensive or offensive. They wanted to play the game.. They put their lives at risk and its on them.

Personally, I think this "crash" was planned in advance by SS for publicity purposes. I think the Ady throttling up just before impact proves that even if the ship had previously turned towards them.

When the SS small boats have been attempting to foul props the seas were manageable for small boats. A large vessel in those small boat manageable waters is not in danger of sinking, at least until the weather changes. The other Whale vessels could easily pick up the stranded crew members before their lives are endangered. Since they have a fuel ship in those waters, which I think is legally questionable but physically verifiable, towing a prop fouled ship home is also possible.

I do think one plan of the Sea Shepherds has been to harass the Whalers into doing something the rest of the world would sanction the Whalers over. Looking at the 3+ minute video from the Ady Gil shows they were successful in that plan but to say they orchestrated this ramming is speculation in that there is acoustic weaponry and a water cannon aimed at the helmsman and who is to say that the audio &/or hydraulic interference did not have some or most causation on the still unproven throttling into the collision?

There may have been a wave/swell lurch to starboard by the Whaler that caused the helmsman of the Ady Gil to think forward might be a better option than backwards. A vessel designed for optimum forward motion is usually not very quick backing up. To turn away the vessel needs momentum and less than 5 seconds before impact they had none.

Have you ever seen dolphins ride the bow wake of a good sized vessel? Can you say without a doubt the water movement is not from the force of the bow wake lifting and pushing the Ady Gil, which then only moves forward due to design, not sideways.

To conclusively say the Ady Gil planned this in advance is pretty confrontational given the limited video evidence we are all working with. It is however not confrontational to say the Captain of the Whaler vessel acted illegally because the video evidence we are all working with is pretty damn conclusive with that regard.

Hey all the whaler has to do is say he was blinded by their lasers. They have a past history of using them

Cetacean.org Dec-30-09
"The Ady Gil crew defended their ship utilising photonic disruptors in an effort to get the Shonan Maru No. 2 to back off to a safe distance."

Photonic disruptors are a hand-held laser which will "temporarily overwhelm a threat's visual senses without causing permanent eye damage", according to the makers.

A version has been used by allied forced in Iraq and Afghanistan.

Hey all the whaler has to do is say he was blinded by their lasers. They have a past history of using them

Cetacean.org Dec-30-09
"The Ady Gil crew defended their ship utilising photonic disruptors in an effort to get the Shonan Maru No. 2 to back off to a safe distance."

Photonic disruptors are a hand-held laser which will "temporarily overwhelm a threat's visual senses without causing permanent eye damage", according to the makers.

A version has been used by allied forced in Iraq and Afghanistan.

where the **** do these people get this kind of money?!?!?!

where the **** do these people get this kind of money?!?!?!
Already, an anonymous donor has reportedly offered $1 million towards the project (the Ady Gil replacement...) — while Hollywood businessman Ady Gil, the ship’s original benefactor, threw a fundraiser last weekend at his spacious Woodland Hills home. According to Paul Watson, $170,000 was pledged in the first few hours after the incident.
Also Bob Barker. Why do you think they named the ships after them?

Last edited:
First I like my horse meat very very tender please!

Second I like my whales in the water not on the table!

I would also like help with attahing video to a post please. Anybody?

On a side note thanks Kevin C for your help with Quote button!

The video shot on the AG before collision. Is that the Bob Barker they are waving to?
If it is ( I do not know)
It is moving in this video!

If it is, it can also be seen moving.
in the first couple of seconds top left corner of the Japonese Whaler video.

The video from the AG which is under way, not making way. You can see the whaler at approx 2mins plus. Notice the masts! Is there a change in the angle of view?

Is there reason to believe the FIXED Camera on board the BB was not moving?

How fast can you stop a ship that large?

Is the video from the Bob Barker how anyone came to conclude that the whaler turned to ram the AG?

Just a couple of questions I am throwing out there.

See you topside! John

Hollywood businessman Ady Gil and Bob Barker. Why do you think they named the ships after them?

and here I thought ady gil was just some made up jumble of letters . . .

ohh yeah that bob barker guy . . .

I would also like help with attahing video to a post please.
If it's a Youtube video:

use [yt]video id[/yt]

The video id is everything after the = sign in the URL.

I totally agree. Each of these situations should be treated independently. The Master(s) involved should be brought to justice.

It is useful to note that the crews of these incidents and the collision under discussion are not related. There is nothing to indicate that the Master of the SS vessel in this instance was ever involved in ramming anyone.

I'm pleased that you agree that utilizing large vessels to ram other ships constitutes deadly force. It's even more "deadly" when it's a larger vessel rams a smaller one and damage is so severe that it causes the vessel to sink. Antarctic waters don't support human life for long...
Sorry, thats not how it works..
It wont help arresting a couple of captains, theill get new ones. Also, being "employed" by Paul Watson MAKES them related.
If I rob a bank with three others and one of them kill a guard, were all guilty for that death.

If the Japanese Whalers wanted to keep the high ground in this skirmish, why did their Captain commit numerous illegal acts in this obvious ramming and serious endangerment of lives of the Ady Gil and crew?

Numerous illegal acts? Laughing out loud. The Ady Gil was the one performing numerous illegal acts, not the SM2. Let's try to keep to the facts please!

Back
Top Bottom