Breaking news from the whale wars

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

as a PR professional, I am telling you what SS is doing is successfully publicizing the fact that the Japanese are whaling.

Think about it - without SS, very few people would even know. At least now it is happening in the open. Debating tactics and legality is an entirely different matter.

I will agree that Whale Wars has done that in general-this other thing-the thing that shale not be named because it created 300 post that had to be deleted-I don't think that it did much one way or the other.

It was a very small story on the national news that was soon forgotten by most except those that actually are interested in the subject, even if only slightly.

I don't think anyone in the media (animal planet excluded) are actually actively following the story-granted, if something else stupid happens they (the media) will be there. That's their job, their jollies 'Let me tell you about this stupid thing that happened in the artic today.'

This particular chapter of the story only has a beginning so far. When the legal actions currently being pursued go somewhere the story may have a body, and the final outcome, or lack of outcome, will be a conclusion, to the particular incident of the ramming of the Ady Gil.

Whale Wars will quite likely go on no matter the conclusion of the particular incident of the ramming of the Ady Gil. Neither side is likely to quit given that enforcement in the Antarctic is not likely more than bad PR. No matter how it turns out, Sea Shepherds will have and will continue to, get the word out and keep the Japanese Whalers from reaching their annual goal of Minke whale kills.

Sea Shepherd News:
Friday, January 22, 2010
Sea Shepherd Announces Mediterranean Campaign for the Bluefin Tuna

The Sea Shepherd Conservation Society will not be getting much rest after the Japanese whaling season is ended following Operation Waltzing Matilda.

Both Sea Shepherd ships, the Steve Irwin and the Bob Barker, will head for the Mediterranean from the Southern Ocean. The objective will be to intercept and oppose the illegal operations of Bluefin tuna poachers.

“We need to bring to the attention of the international public that one of the most unique fish species in the world, the Bluefin tuna, is on the brink of extinction due to the illegal fisheries driven by Japan’s insatiable demand for this expensive fish,” says Sea Shepherd Founder and President Captain Paul Watson.

Two weeks ago a single Bluefin tuna sold to Japan for £111,000.

With this high a price on its head, the days of this species surviving are numbered. As the fish becomes more rare, the prices paid for it will become higher. This is the economics and politics of extinction.

The Mediterranean tuna industry, which is supported by tens of millions of Euros in subsidies, has driven the Bluefin to the brink of extinction. Populations are within three years of total collapse.

Maybe someone from SS reads this thread? :eyebrow:
Jan. 17th, 2010
It is a whole world thing. Sea Shepherds are taking care of the necessary business that no one else is taking care of. There are other people and organizations that are attacking and harassing polluters and habitat destroyers.

If SS could turn the rest of the world on the Japanese, they could then turn their attention to some other cause that no one else fights; like maybe Blue Fin Tuna.

Well, it made the national news - the important question isn't if SS is right or wrong in it's actions. The important message is that the Japanese are conducting whaling operations (illegal or not).

That information is made more widespread by the actions of SS (again, legal or not).

So the net result is that people are no longer blissfully unaware of whaling going on in the antarctic.

I am not commenting on the rights or wrongs - but as a PR professional, I am telling you what SS is doing is successfully publicizing the fact that the Japanese are whaling.

Think about it - without SS, very few people would even know. At least now it is happening in the open. Debating tactics and legality is an entirely different matter.

I mentioned that in an earlier post that was probably deleted by the mod that deletes posts without reading them but yeah, I agree.

I will agree that Whale Wars has done that in general-this other thing-the thing that shale not be named because it created 300 post that had to be deleted-I don't think that it did much one way or the other.

It was a very small story on the national news that was soon forgotten by most except those that actually are interested in the subject, even if only slightly.

I don't think anyone in the media (animal planet excluded) are actually actively following the story-granted, if something else stupid happens they (the media) will be there. That's their job, their jollies 'Let me tell you about this stupid thing that happened in the artic today.'

I completely disagree. In fact Sea Shepherd is growing at an incredible pace.
Check out Facebook. Sea Shepherd has chapters popping up in many countries.
:)

I guess that means we can expect to discuss many new very stupid actions made in an effort to get ratings then....and all around the world.

Maybe even some cool new dive sites too.

Huh...no new posts in a couple of days. I wonder if this thread finally ran its course.

Lock Washer

Huh...no new posts in a couple of days. I wonder if this thread finally ran its course.

Lock Washer

I had a super THREE day :shelli: that could have gone much longer and you had to go and ruin it :D. I think it has run it's course.

Waiting for some NEW breaking news. :coffee:

Lock Washer

Once again, my post was deleted. Small wonder I am no longer a Scubaboard supporter.
All I did was criticize the mod that deleted posts without reading them.:no:

And again to reiterate-
:deadhorse:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom