Breaking news from the whale wars

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't think they got as much PR as you give them credit for. I suspect most people don't even recall this story if they even bothered to read it in the first place.

Whalers, anti-whalers, divers, animal rights folks, etc are talking about it. In otherwords, the same group that were already informed that whaling was still going on.

Not too mention as well that the OP to this idea assumes that sympathy would lie with the Watson Gang. I think more people would be taken back by the activities of pseudo-pirates and eco-terrorism.

I don't think they got as much PR as you give them credit for. I suspect most people don't even recall this story if they even bothered to read it in the first place.

Whalers, anti-whalers, divers, animal rights folks, etc are talking about it. In otherwords, the same group that were already informed that whaling was still going on.

You miss the effect of social networking- all these previously informed people are talking, but many are also posting to Myspace and Facebook, etc. and introducing whole new layers of people to the subject. Now granted, virtually none of those will go out and get any facts, and exponentially there are now 4,986,756,432 posts that amount to "is not" - "is too", but more people "know" about it. :D

Not too mention as well that the OP to this idea assumes that sympathy would lie with the Watson Gang. I think more people would be taken back by the activities of pseudo-pirates and eco-terrorism.

That's the impression I have been getting from people. Just finished a big half hour debate about this at work with some others, and the view was predominately anti-SS.

Agreed...most people I talk to are tired of the "anti-" hype created by organizations and the media.

U/O

Why hasn't Japan or any other country domesticated whales yet? :confused: Yeah... that's it.... They can keep them in gigantic netted corrals or individual pens in their territorial waters. The whaling countries could then whale away in relative peace and anonymity. They could then begin offering choices of "free range whale meat" and just plain whale meat.
:rofl3::rofl3::rofl3:

An idea to help end world hunger....domesticated elephants and water buffalo.....wow... think of all the milk that could be harvested as well as meat. Just think of it fora minute or three. Here in the states we have alligator farms.
:D:D:D

Is that kind of like a trout farm?

Why hasn't Japan or any other country domesticated whales yet? :

why eat them when you can charge $65 admission to watch them perform tricks?

24-Seaworld%20Shamu%20Killer%20Whale%20Show.JPG

Well, it made the national news - the important question isn't if SS is right or wrong in it's actions. The important message is that the Japanese are conducting whaling operations (illegal or not).

That information is made more widespread by the actions of SS (again, legal or not).

So the net result is that people are no longer blissfully unaware of whaling going on in the antarctic.

I am not commenting on the rights or wrongs - but as a PR professional, I am telling you what SS is doing is successfully publicizing the fact that the Japanese are whaling.

Think about it - without SS, very few people would even know. At least now it is happening in the open. Debating tactics and legality is an entirely different matter.

Why hasn't Japan or any other country domesticated whales yet? :confused: Yeah... that's it.... They can keep them in gigantic netted corrals or individual pens in their territorial waters. The whaling countries could then whale away in relative peace and anonymity. They could then begin offering choices of "free range whale meat" and just plain whale meat.
:rofl3::rofl3::rofl3:

An idea to help end world hunger....domesticated elephants and water buffalo.....wow... think of all the milk that could be harvested as well as meat. Just think of it fora minute or three. Here in the states we have alligator farms.
:D:D:D

That would be aquaculture...and then SS would be cruising by the farms screaming through loud hailers and protesting. It would just change the setting. You have no idea the protesting that goes on over the current farms all around the world. But that is a whole different pot to stir :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom