Breaking news from the whale wars

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I feel we're far past the point where we need to kill animals to research them. Sure it was necessary in the days of John James Audubon (A shotgun was one of his most important tools) or even in Ed Rickett's days when they fried the fish after they studied them. Especially with a species so large and easy to track as whales are.
Bear in mind I don't have anything against killing animals, I've been known to take a few myself every once in while.I just don't see it as necessary in this case.
:cowboy:

Sadly, we'll never meet that objective. Legitimate research on animals will always be part and parcel of anything related to human biology - Medicine. Computer models cannot substitute for quantitative data gleaned from human placebos - pigs, dogs, rodents etc. As a former bio. person it was a harsh reality and I quit that field because it became repugnant.

As per Ricketts...there's a great book about him by an author named Scrap Lundy who looks at the denizens of Cannery Row from first-hand accounts. It'll shed some light on the romantic image of Doc.

While Minke's seem plentiful...it's the sham scientific banner and duplicity that the Japanese fishing industry uses to eek out the last bits of profit on dedicated whaling ships and machinery which has bothered me for decades.

X

Sadly, we'll never meet that objective. Legitimate research on animals will always be part and parcel of anything related to human biology - Medicine.
X

To clarify I was talking about researching animal behavior not about scientific research related to medicine or human biology.

To clarify I was talking about researching animal behavior not about scientific research related to medicine or human biology.

Same deal. Spent a lot of time at UC Davis and Univ, of Oregon - behavior always ends up with some critter meeting the axe.

X

I don't think anyone's going to make the argument that lab rats are unsustainable.

While Minke's seem plentiful...it's the sham scientific banner and duplicity that the Japanese fishing industry uses to eek out the last bits of profit on dedicated whaling ships and machinery which has bothered me for decades.

I can't believe their true motives are even being discussed. Checkout the Japan Whaling Association's web-site full of double-speak about the research justification while simutaneously disussing the exsistance of a commerical market for whale meat in Japan. I guess some people really buy that gobbledygook....

Japan Whaling Assoc. -Q&A-

Sea Shepherd also claim their boat was at rest the whole time, which is clearly and incontrovertibly shown as a lie by the wake from their craft.

I find it very hard to believe a 52m 591 tonne trawler with a top speed of 12kt would be able to outmanoeuvre a 40kt fibre-glass trimaran which holds the world record for the fastest ever global circumnavigation!

In any contest of acceleration and manoeuvrability I know which I would have my money on, and it isn't the steel hulled fishing boat.

Judge for yourself here:

YouTube - Sea Shepherd Ship Collision - ???????????????????

It is clear from the video that the Japanese whaling vessel made a radical maneuver to ram the Ady Gil.

And the Japanese whaling is obviously very illegal, but the Japanese are hiding behind claims of "research."

How is it that "research" animals are ending up on dinner plates in Tokyo restaurants?

If I had $5M to donate, I'd be supplying torpedos.

Well that's where the majority of Norwegian caught whale meat is being exported. By the way, I love Norway and visit periodically. Most beautifull women in the world IMO.

Huh?! :shocked2:
Sorry, but we've only just taken up exporting whale meat to Iceland, as the only country. If you have any other information I'd like to know more about it, but I think you are mistaken.

Huh?! :shocked2:
Sorry, but we've only just taken up exporting whale meat to Iceland, as the only country. If you have any other information I'd like to know more about it, but I think you are mistaken.

Majority of meat was probaly a mistatement but here you go. At least Norway and Iceland honestly label their activities as commercial whaling...Ta din posisjon på harpunen. Lol

Japan resumes imports of Norway whale meat | The Japan Times Online

It is clear from the video that the Japanese whaling vessel made a radical maneuver to ram the Ady Gil.

I guess you must be watching a different video, one where a 40kt super trimaran which has broken the road the world speed record doesn't get too close to a lumbering 12kt steel plated trawler, and one where the trimaran doesn't clearly accelerate into the fishing vessel.

How is it that "research" animals are ending up on dinner plates in Tokyo restaurants?

It is explicitly stated that whale meat obtained from whaling will not be wasted and will be used as food. Wouldn't it be even worse to kill these animals and then throw away the meat?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom