Breaking 200 Ft.....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

yes, I think it is due to stimulation of the parasympathetic "brakes" of the nervous system. have you seen "Respirate" Andrew Weil MD is hawking?

The other thing I am playing with (really nuts) is guessing my hydration status to the half pound. why? I have no idea.

Except when filling pressures drop, my HR goes up, I'm pretty sure.

Stroke volume times HR equals Cardiac Output---I think?
You really are a moonbat! :wink:

But I don't huff He and dial, inmature stuff like that, lol.

200 foot free diving?

Raimundo (Ray) Boucher was a Hungarian who fought as a German fighter pilot in WW11. It has been reported that he shot down 5 planes therefore an Ace but cannot be verified.

After WW11 he became interested and very active in the world of sport diving especially breath hold diving, aka free diving.

In November 1949 he slipped in the the cold water of Naples and plunged to a depth of 30 meters approximately 117 feet (39 inches per meter) establishing a new and the first world free diving record.

The record was broken in December 1951 by two Italian divers, Ennio Falco and Alberto Novelli diving to a depth of 35 meters or 136 1/2 feet also off Naples.

Not to be out done he moved to the tropical island of Capri and in November 1952 he set another free diving world record of 39 meters or 152 feet.

After that he retired as a competitor but remained active and was highly visible in the Free Diving Spear Fishing world.

In 2000 at the free Diving Spear Fishing recognition party he was honored as one of the "Fathers of Free Diving and Spear Fishing" ..one of about 80 in the world who were recognized and give the honor...one of the pioneering greats of the sport.

There were a number of attempts and record breaking dives after Raimundo's initial record setting dives- eight to be correct. It wasn't until August 1962 that the famed iron man of free diving, Enzo Majorca broke 200 feet with a dive of 52 meters off Syracuse, Italy.

Enizo held the free diving record 14 different occasions, more than any other person in short history of the sport, , his last record was 87 meters (339 feet) in September 1974 off Sorrento, Italy.

200 feet? Certainly possible,has been done many times! One would question- Why in a recreational setting ?

sdm

Many hospitals are getting rid of 90's medical equipment. This stuff may not be cutting edge in the ICU but certainly would give you enough info on bio feedback.

200ft unassisted? What does he do for an encore...walk on water?

After a breakfast of 1/2 a lump of coal and some cold nettle soup.

And with only one leg- she lost the other one in '42 to a shark attack.

Back to the topic...

I don't get the draw of free diving and it's a little scary to me. That said, I've never tried it- so I'm speaking out of complete ignorance. I don't like to jump though- and maybe that's part of my negative reaction to the idea of free diving. I know- it's not diving. But it's going down fast. And I really don't care for that. I'll jump, roll, twist, hurtle off the boat to go scuba diving, and I'll descend at whatever rate I have to... but I prefer to lazy dive.

Does free diving provide a "rush" for free divers? Like that perfect hit in golf (never had one- except on the Wii), a hot car or something akin to the joggers high? I don't jog because I don't enjoy it (okay, that, and because last time I gave jogging a try my knee tried to slit my throat). But there's that joggers' high they talk about.

Just yapping. Done.

Is it bragging rights?
pushing the limits...yes, unassisted.

I just want this monofin.

Check out specialfins.com

I think they are in Russia, slow site tonight. (Hi Craig!)

My question is why go that deep? :confused:

You're not there for any length of time to appreciate being in the water.

If it's for bragging rights - you're freediving for the wrong reasons.

How about freediving purely for the sake of freediving - even if its only to 5 meters...

My question is why go that deep?

They are both going for the No Fins American record in Kona on Friday.

I'm surprised at the response they sometimes receive because it is widely accepted in this country that athletes compete and try to set records. I really find it an inspirational accomplishment.

200 foot is a milestone and equates to a repeating decimal of 60.606060606060606060... meters. I don't think it's crazy but perhaps irreconcilable? Maybe it's just a challenging goal.

It is as dangerous to go there with or without a gas supply, as we are unprepared for it, in body, mind, equipment and training.

Stay safe out there.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom