Breakaway connection for longhose

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Phat, what second stages are you using and why is he concerned about restrictions? What hose routing are you using?

Couple of options, when you're in a restriction, make sure you're on your long hose. That's pretty simple to do, just breathe the shorty in open water and adjust your gas switching. Alternatively, depending on the look of your exhaust T-'s, there are some options for that.

What method of DIR bungee keeper did you use? For your long hose you can make a simple loop that goes around the mouthpiece and you can pop it out that way....

WRT your instructor saying he wouldn't dive with you if you had it tied in, most of the sidemount guys I know have them tied on, including instructors

Why would sidemount divers need a long hose?

For mixed team diving or any other diving where one may encounter someone who hasn't agreed to dive with two shorter hoses. When it's all said and done, it's just as easy to dive with a long hose (RH side) all the time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Another thought on longhose. Like everyone else I see I keep mine on the right tank. I coil mine under bungy down the tank and run straight to my mouth with an elbow.
Who runs their long hose round their neck on SM? If so, why? If not, why not? Personally can't see the need to put it round my neck - just something else to deal with if I get it out........but happy to be told I'm missing something. How do you guys route the long hose?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm struggling with the same problem. The breakaway o-rings that came with my Apeks sidemount kit broke too easily. Not so much in the water, but quite often during entry when I had the bottles already mounted. And doing the whole dive with a loose long hose isn't fun, or in some cases even dangerous. So I went to the next thicker gauge, which seems to work better, but also makes it a bit harder to tear free in an emergency. I think I'll look into the magnetic retainers next - that seems, at least in principle, a very elegant solution.

Another thought on longhose. Like everyone else I see I keep mine on the right tank. I coil mine under bungy down the tank and run straight to my mouth with an elbow.
Who runs their long hose round their neck on SM? If so, why? If not, why not? Personally can't see the need to put it round my neck - just something else to deal with if I get it out........but happy to be told I'm missing something. How do you guys route the long hose?

I do, hose goes down along the tank, up again, then wraps around the neck and in the mouth, right feed. I don't want a swivel or elbow or whatever on the LH.
I use it that way simply because then it's almost the same thing as in single tank, it also allows to make absolutely sure that there is at least 80-90cm of hose available if you have to share. Yes you're supposed to check it's not entangled, but if you do **** when restowing it after a s-drill you might have just created the issue.

I don't like "bottom feeds" (ie hoses that don't go around the neck), as those tend to make dangling loops (surely there's an example of someone not having those loops, but I haven't seen them)

okay, so I'm back with more 'scientific' results of my long hose retainer testing... I'm pretty torn on the magnetic keeper... it works fine if you are just toodling along and don't have any tasking issues, but the dive I tested them on showed the disadvantage of using them... since I was using rental tanks with the yoke inserts pulled for my DIN regs, I had to set up with no specific left or right, and use the knob on the valve for my bungee... these were Chinese valves, and evidently, every bit of metal matters, because they shaved another 3mm of length off them, which was just enough to let my bungees pop off over and over during my dive..

That wouldn't have been much of a problem except that when the bungee pops, of course the valve end wants to head downward, pulling the hose with it... I found that the magnetic retainer tended to want to stick to anything in it's path, so sometimes I'm in the middle of swapping regs, and the bungee pops and now I'm hunting for the magnetic retainer instead of just clipping to my shoulder d-ring...

I'm leaving next week for Coron, I'll be trying it out some more, but after this last week, I'm leaning to the o-ring, my instructor showed me a way to use a slightly larger one and get a good snug fit to the hose and snap bolt, and that size worked well for a good emergency pull.

So, we shall see if new tech prevails, or tried and tested wins out...

Answers to questions:

1) I have D3-ICE 1st stages and Zenith 2nd stages - forget who asked that
2) my instructor clarified the 'no dive' comment that when we are diving wrecks next week, trying to 'cut away' the long hose could be very difficult where we are going to be doing a lot of 'in line' diving (one behind the other?).... he says that it isn't just a panicked diver who might want to pull the long hose free to get it, but if you have to offer it in a real emergency, it's often easier to just pull it free than make your hands operate the bolt snap, especially at depth or with gloves...

1. ignore my question, won't work with those exhaust T's
2. fair, but if you can't handle that, then you have the wrong bolt snaps, and realistically shouldn't be in the wreck in the first place...

Regarding the bungee coming down. How was the bungee routed? If you pop them over the valve knob they shouldn't pop off, would recommend going that route, and for the valve hanging, I would highly recommend putting neck leashes on them so that if you are in the same situation, instead of the whole top of the tank swinging down, it will only go down a few inches until the leash catches it....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm new to side-mount (my second season) & I'm still working out my rig. I've used back mount doubles for past 20 years, so the neck lace left & round the neck long hose routing is second nature to me. So for me, transitioning from back-mount round the neck routing works from a muscle memory stand point, I know where everything is, in light or dark. When I dive on holiday (Caribbean) I usually dive singles & use same routing.
Keeps everything consistent.
In contrast my buddy (back-mount) coils his long hose on his right tank.
Potaito/Potahto.
As far as break away o-rings go, I've use a smaller 1/16 (1.5 mm) section o-ring. These work quite nicely IMHO.

Mike D

Last edited:
This one is pretty good: Go Side Mount Shop. Break away connector It even allows for reattachment during a dive - even with drygloves. You could tie a neck bungee with two small loops, one on each side, and put a break away connector in each using a tiny boltsnap.

Another option, for rubber hoses, not the non-slip Miflex, is a wide loop of elastic band around the hose. It stays firmly in place but slides along the hose if the hose is pulled. That is one of the solutions presented in Diving in darkness by Farr.

Back
Top Bottom