Breakaway connection for longhose

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bison Ravi

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Any recommendations not involving o-rings or bungee tied to the mouthpiece?

I read some people are using homemade clips made of delrin. Anything commercially available?

The clip that was sold at some point by the razor shop is the only thing I've found, but it seems it tends to slip on the hose, so looking for better options.

Cheers!

On my sidemounted bailout bottles, I use an o-ring that is looped through the ring of the clip. I then remove the 2nd stage & slide the O-ring over the hose, for clipping off the hoses to d-rings when deployed, but not in immediate use.

Last edited:
According to them, Dive Rite has some kind of "bungee-ish" thing that you loop on the hose that should work in the same way as we want a break-away to work. It doesn't work, so don't go waste your money on it.
There's also a way that wraps bungee around the exhausts, like this How-to Secure a sidemount 2nd stage breakaway clip | Divebritain Portal , which didn't give good results imo, but I might just plain suck.

I think most hose retainers for the "rec" divers could actually work...

So afaik, the only way is the break-away o-ring, which is annoying when it breaks...

Out of interest what do you have against the tried and tested O ring and boltsnap method?

You could try (i'm not sure i fancy it) the magnetic "octopus" holders that recreational divers sometimes use? It would give you a magnetic connection that would "breakaway" easily for OOG emergencies, or drills?

I'm using one of the new magnetic breakaways on my long hose. It worked flawlessly during five days of intensive training when I did my Intro / Full Cave course. Always released when I needed it to, and never when I didn't. It makes switching regs a piece of cake; the magnets "find" each other when I need to clip-off the long hose.

I replaced the plastic clip on the harness side of the breakaway with a small stainless quick link tied onto the magnet with cave line. The hose side of the breakaway is semi-permanently attached by two pieces that clamp together with screws.

Believe it or not, this was suggested by one of my local GUE instructors who wanted to see my sidemount rig in action. Long hose donation is greatly simplified, and there's no O-ring to replace after the drill.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I may be missing something but a small cable tie looped on the long hose and through the bolt snap? Its what I use. The little clips from Dive Rite work great as a connection but not as a breakaway.

Or do you want something that only connects to the mouthpiece and not the hose?

Out of interest what do you have against the tried and tested O ring and boltsnap method?

I'm just trying to perfect my setup. O-rings can break and need to be checked/changed. When doing exercices they are not very practical. But they do work. I know it's not a big deal but I just love to play with my gear :D

As for the magnets, I tried one once on a single tank setup and if I looked down and to the right the magnets would stick together, which was really annoying. If it was not for that it would be a perfect solution as they hold as tight as needed but easy to pull apart when wanted.

I just ordered some sheets of Kydex and will try to make something.

And maybe I'll give the magnet a try: it's true that not having to clip/unclip the bolt snap would be an improvement.

I dont dive wrecks often but I guess the magnet could stick to stuff, something to consider maybe?

---------- Post added May 21st, 2015 at 08:55 AM ----------

I guess the tie wraps work also, but you really need to pull/twist to release them, I find it's almost as long than to just unclip the bolt snap

I haven't put these on or used them yet but I got a couple of hose devices from go sidemount.com which is Steve Bogaerts sidemount business in Mexico....from the looks of them they can yank the hose out and then put it back in giving yourself the capability to deploy the hose repeatedly without breaking anything....I'm going to be trying them in the pool shortly....

I guess the tie wraps work also, but you really need to pull/twist to release them, I find it's almost as long than to just unclip the bolt snap
During my recent SM/Intro to Cave course I could not breakaway the tie wrap at surface S drills, twisting, turning yanking...My instructor made a show of nicking the side of a wrap with his trilobite. Next dive, OOG signal. Without thinking I grabbed the long hose and pulled. Broke away easily.

At the surface I asked how much he had cut it so I could do the same with the replacement. He said it was all show. That he didn't cut it at all. :D

Any recommendations not involving o-rings or bungee tied to the mouthpiece?

I read some people are using homemade clips made of delrin. Anything commercially available?

The clip that was sold at some point by the razor shop is the only thing I've found, but it seems it tends to slip on the hose, so looking for better options.

Cheers!

If only there was a sidemount system that you could stay on your longhose..........[emoji56]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom