Brass vs. Stainless Bolt snaps

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
I'm getting ready to get some bolt snaps, and someone PLEASE correct me if I'm wrong here, but beside the metals being different (brass being softer) , there is no difference right? :06:

Neither rust, both springs are the same, and you can get them in the same sizes. Does one work better then the other?

Why pay so much more for S.S. then for brass. That's if they hold up just as good as one another.

Lil' Irish Temper:
I'm getting ready to get some bolt snaps, and someone PLEASE correct me if I'm wrong here, but beside the metals being different (brass being softer) , there is no difference right? :06:

Neither rust, both springs are the same, and you can get them in the same sizes. Does one work better then the other?

Why pay so much more for S.S. then for brass. That's if they hold up just as good as one another.

SS--is a little stronger--a little more corrosion resistant (if made of the proper grade of SS)--and costs a little more

That's about it.

Cheers!

Rob Davie

I have used brass for years as I couldnt get ss. I now have what appears to be ss, although I suspect that they may be just nickle plated or chromed. I will see how they stand up.

I think the most important thing is the smoothness of the action, there is a big difference in quality between good and bad ones.

Maybe it's the cheap skate in me but, It's hard justifing paying
$ 3.95 for a stainless steel 1" Round Eye vs. $ 1.15 for a Brass 1" Round Eye.

But like you say the smoothness of the action, is the big part.

Buying 5 that adds up, $19.75 SS vs. $5.75 Brass :11:

Lil' Irish Temper:
Maybe it's the cheap skate in me but, It's hard justifing paying
$ 3.95 for a stainless steel 1" Round Eye vs. $ 1.15 for a Brass 1" Round Eye.

But like you say the smoothness of the action, is the big part.

Buying 5 that adds up, $19.75 SS vs. $5.75 Brass :11:
Be happy it's only $3.95. Up here you average $3-something for a brass one, and more like $9 for ss...!

Lil' Irish Temper:

The SS will rust if not rinsed properly...

The top of the slide slot tends to be sharper in brass bolt snaps than in stainless. This tends to cause cuts on the thumb if you're opening the snaps a lot without a glove, especially if you've been underwater for awhile.
For that reason I've replaced all my snaps that see a lot of underwater use (stage bottles, for example) with stainless.
For those rarely used snaps (backup lights etc) brass is fine. (Or, if you have more time than money, you can file the sharp edges of the slide slot on the brass snaps)
S

it's my experience that brass snaps will wear a little, and it can make their
"pull" thingie sharp. i've gotten cut a few times. steel won't do that.

also, the only snap ever to fail on me was brass... so....

i'm prejudiced against brass

steel will rust, though slightly, so you got to rinse well

Lil' Irish Temper:

Regardless, both will corrode if the material is not "marine grade" and for that you will pay extra. Rinse it anyway; NaCL H2O is unfriendly to anything except corrosion PROOF such as ceramic or titanium. Remember, the term is stainLESS, not rustPROOF.

I too have been cut when using brass; for that reason I prefer stainless.

Lil' Irish Temper:
Here is where I get my stainless snaps.
If that link doesn't work, do a Google search for "Nix Dog Collars" and select "Scuba" on their home page.
S

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom