Brass valve parts cleaning

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Belmont

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I am rebuilding and O2 cleaning a Beuchat double outlet Y-valve.
Some of the inner brass components are discolored and greasy looking but not corroded or pitted. I would like to know what to use to bring back the original brass colour. I was thinking of some fine buffing with a Dremel or soaking in CLR. Some have told me I could not make the parts O2 clean. It' a pain to get parts from France. Any suggestions?

Thank you

If O2 cleaning is what you are trying to do: dismantle the valve completely, soak, agitate, and brush all components thoroughly with a clean toothbrush in water and a liquid dishwashing detergent like Joy or Dawn. Then thoroughly rinse, rinse again just to be sure, then dry. To brighten the color of the brass, I don't know what to use that is sure to be O2 compatible.

When you reassemble it, be sure to use an O2 compatible grease like Chritolube or Tribolube71.

One other thing. Make sure your hands and tools are grease free too.

Couv

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom