Argonaut Kraken #1 getting some service after 5 years and 500 dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes, that replaceable orifice is such a great feature! I remember asking Chris Richardson why he didn't put one on the Deep 6, and he just didn't think it was a benefit. But if I'm planning to have my Kraken last as long as I will, it's a great feature.

Thanks for the info about the lever and the hose valve. Fascinating!

When I restore the HP volcano, I'm concerned that a pencil eraser will flatten the edge, increase its surface area, and decrease the crispness of lockup with the seat. So I use Micromesh wrapped around a pencil to burnish it from the inside, using the bunching of the Micromesh cloth around the cone of the pencil end to preserve the round of the volcano edge.

I made both the first and second stage volcano orifice replaceable. The vintage Royal Aqua Master didn’t have either orifice replaceable and you have to be very careful when servicing it.

I would like your grandchildren to be able to service this regulator even if VDH is not around that far in the future.

I also used as many parts that are common with other regulators as possible.

I had to design a unique second stage orifice, but I made it so that it can be removed and it can be reconditioned fairly easily. Even far in the future, if they are not available, it can be easily reproduced. Anyone with a lathe can make a replacement part.

The first stage can also be serviced, but that is a common part.

I lived with a Royal Aqua Master that I could not serviced for decades. That will not happen with the Argonaut (if I can help it).

The main body is a complex machine part designed intentionally for low rate production using numerically controlled machining. As long as the user doesn’t scratch (or badly scratch) the O-ring sealing surfaces, the Argonaut can be serviced. Everything else on the Argonaut can be easily replaced or serviced. That is by design.

My AK was also one of the early prototypes with unplated parts. I serviced it this year before Cozumel (Nov) for the first time. IP was stable and cracking pressure was good but like Luis's, it had not been serviced since it was first put together so I thought it might be a good time to go through it. The main body was originally installed in donor DAAM cans for initial prototype testing and was later transferred over to the production cans a couple years after being initially put together. The body internals were never dissembled, just transferred from one set of cans to the other. The only issue with the reg was some corrosion on the unplated parts, internally it was clean. The corroded parts were all prototypes that were bare metal and even so, were not badly corroded. For what it's worth, I always remove the hoses after a dive trip and flush out the cans with warm water a few times then allow the body to drain and dry without the hoses on. I think this vastly improves the condition of the body inside the cans.

J Bird emailed that he is sending both of his back for service after 3+ years of almost daily diving so we'll see how those look.

Birds is a pre serial # Kraken and considering he dives it almost daily it has held up really well. The reason it's here was because the IP was creeping and causing a slightly free flow on his safe 2nd.
No doubt it was time for the HP seat to be replaced.
20190310_105815.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom