Brands brands

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Traminer

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi guys.. am going to invest in my first full 3mm wetsuit soon. The problem is.. which brands?

So many to choose from: Mares, Scubapro, Henderson, O'Neils, Bares... etc etc

Apart from not wanting a wetsuit in shocking fuschia, or free advertising for manufacturer (Hate SP's huge logo), does anyone have any brands or tips.

Have one made - it'll fit you better and the logo's optional...

Brand is not that important.

Fit is everything. If you don't happen to be an off the rack person then go custom.

It should fit like a second skin with just a hint of compression.

You should have full range of motion arms, legs, squats, you know the drill.

It must not hinder you inhalation or help you exhale.

In 3mm suits the features are limited. things like gskets are not usualy seen.

I sugest a 1 pc suit. If you want more warmth add a hooded vest underneath.

I'm partial to Bare (they have a ton of sizes). All of the brands you mention are well known. Some have better pricing structures.

Pete

FIT FIT FIT!! Find the one that fits and buy it....price shouldn't be the first consideration, fit is the most important part of a wetsuit. If you can't find one off the rack that fits comfortably, go custom for sure.

My husband and I tried on every wetsuit we could find in S. Florida to find the right one and wound up with Henderson Hyperstretch suits. They weren't any more expensive than any other stretchy suit on the market at that time, and we both loved how they fit...still do.

Why so touchy about a logo!? As everyone says, the most important thing is fit and comfort. Off the rack, I prefer Scubapro, as they lend themselves more towards the slimmer chap whereas I find Oceanic lend themselves to the fuller figure!! Can understand why looks are important but if the suit doesnt fit properly then it is wasted money. I tried on dozens of suits and nearly went custom before I slipped into the Scubapro Everflex!!! Best suit I have ever tried on!!

Good Luck.

Andy

Fashionable color is top criterion.
Then, how cute is the model who wears it in the advertisement?
Brand should be the same brand your buddies have so noone feels one-upped.
Fit is pretty unimportant since you are going to gain or lose weight between dive outings anyway--you might even get taller from dive season to dive season. My first wetsuit had to be traded in after my midsection became too muscular to fit into it. Yeah, so a brand with a good trade-in value is also very important.

But seriously, a wetsuit will wear out after a couple seasons of heavy use anyway, so don't stress over it. And a 3 mm isn't alot of insulation anyway, so high-tech features and perfect fit are overkill. You can tell if it's well-made, and you can tell if it fits reasonably well, and you probably know whether you can afford it. So just jump in.

theskull

I like Bare wetsuits, they seem to be built sturdy. However, I am partial to Ripcurl. It's really made for surfing so you know it will be well put together, tuff and long lasting. I agree that you can wear out a suit in a few diving seasons.... but that is true only if you don't take care of it. Completely rinse the suit with fresh water after every use and let it hang out to dry (out of the sun) and you will see a suit last for 5 years, easy. Ripcurl suits have always been great for me, use them for both Surfing and scuba. Good luck

I personally don't find too much difference with a 3mm wetsuit. Find one that fits and then find the best deal you can find. I ended up buying one from some 3rd party company who had them made by a Canadian company and it is 5 years old and still works like a charm and wouldn't trade it. I paid $100 for it back then which was a steal at the time.

3mm isn't that thick of a suit and unless you are diving for a living they don't wear out that fast. Save the $$. For my 5mm and 7mm I went with Bare because they are nice suits and good quality but when I finally wear out the 3mm....I will buy the best deal and not the brand name.

I bought a certain 3mm one piece as my first wetsuit for a February trip to Florida. I bought it online. It is loose in the wrists. It's usable, but I wish it fit as well as my 1mm Akona that I bought from an LDS in Georgia last summer. I am quite impressed by that suit, but I don't have many opportunities to use it in New England!

Back
Top Bottom