Brands brands

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Fit is the most important feature as has been said. I found the standard black neoprene from Akona fits me like a glove and keeps me warm. Cheap too.

Traminer:
Hi guys.. am going to invest in my first full 3mm wetsuit soon. The problem is.. which brands?

So many to choose from: Mares, Scubapro, Henderson, O'Neils, Bares... etc etc

Apart from not wanting a wetsuit in shocking fuschia, or free advertising for manufacturer (Hate SP's huge logo), does anyone have any brands or tips.

At the last big dive show in S'pore I bought a Radiator brand 3/2 wetsuit. It's perfect for the waters around here, and it has a titanium lining which helps keep the chill off, even towards the end of the dive. Color: Black. It's not cheap, though. (I got a discount at the show, which helped.) http://www.radiator.net/general/shop.aspx?option=product&id=63

Thanks Quero.. I'm looking forward to ADEX after Easter, am hoping there will be some good deals for the more expensive stuff like regs and dive computers. Any idea what other gears will be available there? Or is it worth waiting a month to check it out?

I have a 3mm Akona shorty and a 3mm Akona full. Both are plain black (only colors offered) and fit me like a glove. I'm so pleased with them that I'm about to buy an Akona 6.5mm two-piece for quarry diving. :)

As a side note--their gloves and booties are good, too. :wink:

Thanks for the tips guys... ended up with a Bare Velocity 3/2 with red trimmings that makes me look like a baked lobster but fits very very nicely. Even some room to accomodate for beer bellies after a week on LOBs.

I'll be going to ADEX too. Hoping to get a good deal there. Problem is I'll be diving before and after the ADEX and I want to have a wetsuit before the show. Do you guys think I should wait? Where can I find those Akona and Bare wetsuits in Singapore? Thanks in advance.

For Akona, some guy is selling it for S$250 (US$150) on Yahoo but auctions closed. Haven't seen them around in the dive shops either.

The shops in Lucky Plaza and Wakiki in Concourse carried Bare wetsuits. I bought mine at Wakiki because they have the largest range of colours and sizes.

My suggestion is that you keep trying the suits now and get a sense of what u like as well as your sizes. At the expo you may not have the space/time to be trying the suits but could walk away with good deals if they have suits your sizes. Bare has a booth at the upcoming expo and will be showcasing their new 2006 collection.

Traminer:
Thanks Quero.. I'm looking forward to ADEX after Easter, am hoping there will be some good deals for the more expensive stuff like regs and dive computers. Any idea what other gears will be available there? Or is it worth waiting a month to check it out?

It all depends on what dealers and shops are at the show exhibiting. I believe it is worth waiting for the show before you decide on anything. But do go knowing what is available elsewhere and what it costs, at least as a basis for comparison. Then if you don't find what you want at the show, you can still buy at your LDS or online.

Here's an exhibitor list FYI. http://www.asiadiveexpo.com/2006-exhibitors.html

Try the new Seal Suit from Pinnacle Aquatics. Go to the website and read about the science of the Merino Wool. These suits are the hottest things on the market! Check out www.pinnacleaquatics.com for a dealer near you.

Chad B

I tried on a bunch of different brands, from inexpesive ($99 DeepSea...I think) to $300 (can't remember brand...mayhave been Hendersons). Ended up buying the Bares for about $225, for a 5 mil. Was going to go with the 3 mil, but figured I would get more use out of the 5 mil, because I live where we have colder water. I am hard to fit, and the Bares fits great...not restricting at all. I liked that they had lots of sizes to choose from, so I got more of a custom fit, even though it is an off-the-shelf suit (one piece).

I also bought a Mares for my daughter, and it is high quality and fits very well. It was in the low $200 range.

Both suits have wrist and ankle "seals" to reduce flushing. The Bares are sort of like internal baffels and the Mares is sewn (glued??) to the wrist and ankle cuffs of the suit. Both seem to work very well. I didn't like the DeepSea (again, I think that is what it was) because it fit too lose in teh wrists and ankles, but was tight in the shoulders, restricting movement a bit (felt like it was holding my arms back in an unnatural position).

I have not owned my own suit before, so previous experience was from borrowing, or renting. Unfortunately, this didn't leave me with much to compare too, because I always sort of lived with the fit, even though it wasn't that good. I really like the new suit, though.

John

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom