Brand not carried at LDS

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

awap:
I have no qualms about shopping around for choice and value, but if you would really like to support your LDS then you may want to reconsider your product choice. Whjat is so special about the Zeagle BC that you can't find something just as satisfactory in the brands your LDS carries? With something on the order of 100 different BCs to choose from, I find it very hard to find any clear winner.
Thank you for all the replies.
I would like to say that I am still in the early stages of equipment shopping (still trying to come up with the money for all this. :wink: ) But as far as BCs go, some of the options I am interested in are:

-Zeagle Ranger
-Zeagle Brigade (scubatoys.com)
-Aeris Atmos XT
-Tusa Imprex Pro

I have come up with these mostly through reading magazine reviews and comments of people on this board. I looked and there is an authorized Zeagle dealer about 2 hrs away from me, haven't had time to go check it out yet, but I believe the Brigade is a scubatoys exclusive? I like the idea of the back inflation, and Aeris seems to be a good hybrid back/side inflation. My LDS (actually not really that local, about 1.5 hrs away, but worth the drive) deals primarily with Tusa BCs, so I was also considering the Imprex pro. I guess my next step will be to try on atleast the Imprex and the Ranger, if I can find one. How much actual service needs to be done to a BC on a regular basis? I would feel better about buying something online that I wouldn't have to have serviced regularly, as opposed to something like a regulator. If it is just a matter of sending it back for repairs if/when something happens, I can send it back myself. I don't have THAT close of a relationship with my LDS to where I would not consider other options, but they are good people and I have enjoyed doing business with them so far.

Take a look at www.triple-l.biz. They make a model called the Orion that will leave you enough money left (compared to the Zeagle Ranger) to buy a regulator. Another Zeagle model to look at is the Concept II. I don't see any noticeable differances between Concepts and Rangers and the Concepts e-bay in very good condition in the $200 range.

I don't see any noticeable differances between Concepts and Rangers and the Concepts e-bay in very good condition in the $200 range.

Ranger allows you to use doubles, Concept does not. Also, more weight capacity in the Ranger and it has a stronger material for the BC than the Concept. These differences made me decide to go with the Ranger vs. the Concept.

CUunderH2O:
Ranger allows you to use doubles, Concept does not. Also, more weight capacity in the Ranger and it has a stronger material for the BC than the Concept. These differences made me decide to go with the Ranger vs. the Concept.

Diving doubles with a Ranger sort of proves the point that no single piece of gear does everything well. As far as I can see, the Concept has the same 44 lb wing as a Ranger. Not saying that you couldn't do it, but every LDS I've been in that actually tries to sell Zeagle BC's (as opposed to hiding them from the Aqualung rep) makes the point that you can dive doubles with Rangers and 911's. I've never seen anyone actually do so. Even if the Ranger is made of stronger material, it's kind of all overkill anyway. I have more than one Zeagle BC and personally don't see how you could ever wear a Concept out but with a lifetime warranty, it doesn't matter.

yknot:
Diving doubles with a Ranger sort of proves the point that no single piece of gear does everything well. As far as I can see, the Concept has the same 44 lb wing as a Ranger. Not saying that you couldn't do it, but every LDS I've been in that actually tries to sell Zeagle BC's (as opposed to hiding them from the Aqualung rep) makes the point that you can dive doubles with Rangers and 911's. I've never seen anyone actually do so. Even if the Ranger is made of stronger material, it's kind of all overkill anyway. I have more than one Zeagle BC and personally don't see how you could ever wear a Concept out but with a lifetime warranty, it doesn't matter.
What makes one BC better for diving doubles than another? Will the Brigade accomadate doubles? I guess its really a mute point because I really don't think I'll be using doubles anytime soon, but the capability to do so eventually would be nice. Oh and, just out of curiosity, why would a shop hide Zeagles from an Aqualung rep?

WQFTruckster:
What makes one BC better for diving doubles than another? Will the Brigade accomadate doubles? I guess its really a mute point because I really don't think I'll be using doubles anytime soon, but the capability to do so eventually would be nice. Oh and, just out of curiosity, why would a shop hide Zeagles from an Aqualung rep?

Single tanks vs double tanks is part of the logic of why some prefere backplates and wings. These configurations are modular and adapt well between singles or doubles by using a common mounting platform (the backplate, along with a harness of some sort to strap into) and then changing out the bouyancy wing to suit a particular task. For single tank diving, a wing over 40 lbs of lift is probably too much. A wing bigger than needed causes unnecessary drag. For doubles, the wing itself gets wider and bigger in terms of lift. Zeagles claim to be multi purpose but the 44lb Ranger wings are overkill (IMO) for singles and maybe too small for doubles. With scuba gear, every single piece of equipment offers some sort of compromise when compared to another piece, even if the compromise is cost. If you want to dive doubles in the future take a closer look at backplates now, but you will likely need the assistance of some local tech divers as most LDS' won't be of any help. If you do dive doubles, don't worry about your last BC as the cost of double tanks and extra training for dives that justify doubles will be considerably more money.

My point with hiding Zeagle gear from the Aqualung rep was meant somewhat tongue in cheek. While Zeagle is believed to be very good quality gear by some divers it is also somewhat obscure and is really a minor brand. I don't think the Zeagle line could carry a LDS on it's own. Every large and long term successful LDS I've seen carries either ScubaPro or Aqualung as the big house brand (think Chevy or Ford, for example) with possibly some other "minor" brands thrown in for balance. I'm not saying it happens but if the Aqualung distributor took offense to the way his gear was displayed and marketed, next to a Zeagle product, most LDS' would kick Zeagle to the curb if it was suggested they do so.

Not saying that you couldn't do it, but every LDS I've been in that actually tries to sell Zeagle BC's ... makes the point that you can dive doubles with Rangers and 911's. I've never seen anyone actually do so.

Funny, I personally know 3 people who do dive doubles with the Ranger, and one of the instructors uses a 911. I myself would like a BC I can grow into as I progress in my diving, instead of having to trade it in after a few years. (my .02)

First of all yes the Brigade could be used with diving doubles. The only hitch would be that you would probably have to order a bigger bladder. Don't know this for a fact but would think that it would stand true.

As for the LDS versus online for service. For a BC it isn't that big of a deal buying online. There isn't much service for a BC. My nearest Zeagle dealer is about 2 hours away but I bought the Brigade from scubatoys and love it. If I ever have a problem I don't have to send it back to Larry at scubatoys. When I buy my regs I am probably buying Apex and I will have to go about 1 1/2 hours away to get them. I still have a dealer somewhat close to service what I buy so I am not sending it clear acroos the country and paying X dollars for shipping every time. This would be especially true with res since they need to be serviced regularly.

I to am friends with the owner of my LDS. I have bought several major priced items from him but I know that I won't buy them all. If he can't get over the fact that I wanted Apex so I went someplace else instead of buying Ocenic from him, let him get mad. I bought what I wanted and didn't settle for less. I think you can and should do the same.

Just the other day I told one of the local guys what I was thinking about buying as far as gear and he said " boy Jim isn't going to happy with you when he finds out." Jim is the owner of the LDS. I had the same reply as above, I wanted brand x and he doesn't sell it so I went elsewhere. He will get mad or get over it.

BC buy what you want with service not being much of a concern. When it comes to regs I would buy something that can be serviced somewhat locally.

Just my $.02 worth.

CUunderH2O:
Funny, I personally know 3 people who do dive doubles with the Ranger, and one of the instructors uses a 911. I myself would like a BC I can grow into as I progress in my diving, instead of having to trade it in after a few years. (my .02)

I never said you couldn't use these BCs for doubles. The 911 with a 65lb lift bladder is plenty for doubles. Do you think it might, however, present some sort of compromise when diving a single 80cf tank? Do you think that at some point when you are diving doubles with your Ranger that you might miss not having a crotch strap or something more than 44lbs of lift? Dives that require doubles tend to be considered tech dives and Zeagle integrated BCs are not "tech" BCs regardless of how many D rings they come with. Even Zeagle aknowledges this by offering a line of BP&W's. When a LDS tells you that a piece of gear is one size fits all or will suffice in the coming years when you are making more extreme dives then they are doing you a disservice.

I have a Ranger and my LDS doesn't carry them. I ordered it from Scuba Toys. Other than a BP/W set up it is probably the most adjustable set up available. Case in point, I have an XL with large shoulder straps. Fits like a glove and great warantee too.

Anyway, When purchasing my gear I ended up buying no brands that my LDS sells. However I spoke with them to ensure they can and would service my gear. Any reasonable shop should work on any gear they are trained to work on, regardless of where you bought it. If not, then maybe they aren't the LDS for you.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom