Brand not carried at LDS

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would go to a dive shop that did have them in stock. Then you can get them custom fit to you if you need to. I had mine custom fit and it's just great. When your diving you don't even know it's there. Out of the water other than the weight of the tank you still feel good in it. That's what it's all about right? Comfort?

Good diving to everyone!
jafo123

WQFTruckster:
I am a new diver and may soon be in the market for my first set of equipment. My question is what if the brand/specific product of equipment your looking for is not offered by your LDS? For instance, After reading some reviews and comments on this board I am interested in the Zeagle Ranger BC. Unfortunately Zeagle is not offered by my LDS. So, in this case, would it be better to look for other sources (perhaps online, such as scubatoys.com) or should I just stick to what is offered at my LDS? I like my LDS and am being certified with them. Honestly I would like to give them my business, but I wish I could chose what I want rather than feeling like I have to chose whats on their shelf. Just wondering what others thoughts were on this. I DO NOT want this thread to turn into another LDS versus internet thread, I've read plenty of those already.

waterwraith:
BTW ???Holeinthewalltennessee??? are you from Hohewald Tennessee by any chance?
Haha, nope, never heard of Hohewald. My home is in Huntingdon, TN, but at the moment I'm living/going to school in Cookeville,TN. Pretty much anyplace in TN outside of Nashville and Memphis can be considered a "hole in the wall" lol.

WQFTruckster:
Haha, nope, never heard of Hohewald. My home is in Huntingdon, TN, but at the moment I'm living/going to school in Cookeville,TN. Pretty much anyplace in TN outside of Nashville and Memphis can be considered a "hole in the wall" lol.

You got that right. Tennessee a great place to live a bad place to be a marine biologist.

see if your LDS can get you the Zeagle ... if they can't ...
ScubaToys ROCKS ! Talk to Larry, he very cool ... I can't wait to buy a bunch of stuff from him.

Enjoy
Dean

WQFTruckster:
I am a new diver and may soon be in the market for my first set of equipment. My question is what if the brand/specific product of equipment your looking for is not offered by your LDS? For instance, After reading some reviews and comments on this board I am interested in the Zeagle Ranger BC. Unfortunately Zeagle is not offered by my LDS. So, in this case, would it be better to look for other sources (perhaps online, such as scubatoys.com) or should I just stick to what is offered at my LDS? I like my LDS and am being certified with them. Honestly I would like to give them my business, but I wish I could chose what I want rather than feeling like I have to chose whats on their shelf. Just wondering what others thoughts were on this. I DO NOT want this thread to turn into another LDS versus internet thread, I've read plenty of those already.

Get the equipment you want at a place you respect. Don't change equipment unless there is a good reason.

WQFTruckster:

I live in Memphis and it is a diving-challenged city, particularly considering the population. Zeagle lists The Dive Shop:
THE DIVE SHOP
999 S. YATES
MEMPHIS, TN 38119

as being an authorized dealer, but I haven't seen any Zeagle BCs there. They have a big campaign about not selling anything that is sold on the internet, so it is pretty much Aqualung.

I think you are feeling that you may piss-off your LDS (your instructor) if you buy elsewhere. From my experience, that is probably a valid concern.

Good luck in finding the BC you really want to buy and don't succumb to pressure/guilt to buy something you don't love.

redhatmama:
I live in Memphis and it is a diving-challenged city, particularly considering the population. Zeagle lists The Dive Shop:
THE DIVE SHOP
999 S. YATES
MEMPHIS, TN 38119

as being an authorized dealer, but I haven't seen any Zeagle BCs there. They have a big campaign about not selling anything that is sold on the internet, so it is pretty much Aqualung.

I think you are feeling that you may piss-off your LDS (your instructor) if you buy elsewhere. From my experience, that is probably a valid concern.

Good luck in finding the BC you really want to buy and don't succumb to pressure/guilt to buy something you don't love.

In cases like this, why do you support the LDS at all? What they're telling you is that they refuse to vend any products that they can't sell exclusively at full retail price. Zeagle only recently started allowing internet sales but still only by authorized dealers. I've noticed this trend near me and it also applies to Mares, Cressi, and Oceanic.

I have no qualms about shopping around for choice and value, but if you would really like to support your LDS then you may want to reconsider your product choice. Whjat is so special about the Zeagle BC that you can't find something just as satisfactory in the brands your LDS carries? With something on the order of 100 different BCs to choose from, I find it very hard to find any clear winner.

You should purchase what you want, not what is available locally. If you purchase what is available locally and you move, you have equipment that you might not like and a friend where you use to live.

Following up on awap, post the type of BC your LDS carries and ask for opinions on how those brands compare to Zeagle. You will at least get alot of ideas on what to look for when doing your research on what to purchase. Those ideas tend to be a lot more informative than the opinions on where to purchase.

awap:
Whjat is so special about the Zeagle BC that you can't find something just as satisfactory in the brands your LDS carries?

First, we don't know what brands the LDS in question has so a feature comparison is difficult but in defense of Zeagle:
1) US company (assume BC'c are actually manufactured here)
2) Warranty support comparable to anyone (lifetime, almost a sense of "no questions asked" and pride in their product)
3) Great weight integration system with no velcro pockets to lose.
4) Modular design and component usage with some models allows considerable fit options.
5) Now allowing internet sales by authorized dealers (shows a response to the market and concern for their customers).
6) Name brand recognition and e-bay resale equal to anything other than Halcyon (very important when the board convinces the original poster to perform the Ranger-to-e-bay-to-BP & W manuever).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom