Brand New Feeder Seeking Advice on Gaining Experience

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tide19

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I just completed my confined dives for my PADI open water cert and have my open water dives scheduled while I'm honeymooning on Grand Cayman in April. I'm extremely excited to dive as regularly as budget allows. I've been doing a little research to get a better handle on local diving, but could really use some advice from some experienced divers on the best way to build my skills and experience locally.

I live in Silver Spring, MD and my folks are retired near Lancaster on the Rappahannock River in VA. I'm looking for diving within two or three hours of either location. I've looked at some of the dive charters out of OC, but my impression is that most of those dives are for those with a little more experience than I have.

From what I can see, my best options for getting in the water and developing the skills to be comfortable with more challenging dives are some of the local quarry dives and the Baltimore Aquarium.

Anyone have any suggestions for other dive sites for someone who’ll most likely be under 10-15 dives for the entire summer? Should I focus on the quarries to build my skills, or are there other good options? And finally – Are quarries a realistic option for someone who doesn’t have their own gear yet?

Thanks in advance - Matt

A Great place for you to work on skills would be Mill Brook Quarry.There are many shops in No Va area where you could hook up with local divers.Ocean City diving is just about same as a quarry with the exception of currents and quickly changing weather.Most boats will not even go out if the forecast is iffy anyway.There also many more quarries in southern Pa also if you willing to drive a little.

To gain more experience, my suggestion would be to find a club to join. Olney Scuba Adventure Dive Club (http://www.olneyscubaadventure.pages.qpg.com/) is local and the members range from newly minted to very experienced divers. We dive locally year round. Whoever you decide to dive with, make sure to ask lots of questions. I haven’t met a diver yet who isn’t willing to share their experience.

The two closest quarries to you are probably Millbrook in Haymarket, Virginia or Hydes in Westminster, Maryland. I don’t think either is particularly exciting, but they are a good place to train. There are two dive boats in Ocean City and I like them both. When you are ready, you won’t go wrong with either of them.

Finally, I think renting gear to use in quarries is better than renting gear to take ocean diving since there is minimal risk of having your dives cancelled due to bad weather. I always hated returning full rental tanks.

I know nothing about the area as I am here looking for information on local dive sites myself. What I can tell you is that just about any water will do, it comes down to putting in the hours and getting comfortable with your equipment. A quarry is easier in that you can drive right up to it and get in, the only difference is that your buoyancy in fresh water will be different then in salt water. You might be better off buying used equipment and having it serviced then buying new or renting. Check out Ebay and Craigs List and take your time and you will find a deal.

Both charters in oc have entry level dives, one with a dm if that makes you feel better. If you plan on diving in the ocean the sooner you get in it the sooner you start building experiance. Interaction with people who regularly dive in the ocean is a great way to pick up tips and some good mentoring.
eric

Thanks for the great advice. The dive club sounds like a great idea and I wasn't aware the OC charters had some entry level dives.

Thanks for the great advice. The dive club sounds like a great idea and I wasn't aware the OC charters had some entry level dives.

You mentioned you haven't done your checkout dives yet, and the charters won't allow you to dive until that is done. However, they could probably do those with you.... but, it is already April, and your plan for doing those on vacation this month is a good one. I would recommend just waiting and finish your cert in conditions which will be much more favorable. Then doing some dives here when you get back.

The check-out dives will be happening while I'm in Cayman, I would have liked to have done them here and then have a little more freedom as far as my dives in Cayman but I think I'll still have a great time on the check-out dives.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom