Brand loyalty

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ok, I have seen people talk about shops they work for wanting them to wear the shops brand. Sort of fair enough.

My question is, how brand loyal is everyone? Do you try to stay with one brand? Do you mix and match to your hearts content? I'm curious about this. Thanks

I'm a gear **** ...

My regs are a mix of ScubaPro and Apeks ... mostly. I have a few odd pieces from other manufacturers as well.

Backplates are DSS and FredT ... wings are Halcyon, DSS and Oxycheq ... the wing I use on a given dive depends on the dive profile, whether I'm diving singles or doubles, and what I've got out on loan on a given day.

Tanks are PST, Faber, and Worthington.

I've got four masks ... not even sure who makes 'em, but they're all different. My only criteria for a mask is that it fits, and that it's a 2-lens style (prescription lenses).

Two drysuits ... both DUI, but my next one might not be.

Bare and DUI rock boots ... I prefer the Bare.

Fins are Jets, Turtles, and some cheap plastic things made by ScubaMax ... I even have a pair of Force fins kicking around my garage somewhere.

Primary lights by Salvo and Terkel ... used to own a couple NiteRiders, but sold them. If they ever come out with a more focused light, I'd try them again ... great company to do business with.

etc ...

I buy based on function and price ... brand has nothing to do with it ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

The average diver could stay with one brand for everything and be perfectly happy with their equipment. Aqualung, Scubapro, Mares, Sherwood, Oceanic and Aeris have designed their lines of equipment for people to buy exclusively from them. They also prefer LDS to carry their entire line and not "cherry pick" what they want.

For someone who has been diving awhile, they will shop and have preferences for certain items from different companies, even different brands based on the water they are in.

For example, I have a BCD for teaching and diving in coldwater, and a different one for warm water.

The only "brand" loyalty I have is with Atomic. I love my B2, my framless and ARC masks, and my split fins. That is based on performance and customer service, all being about the best I have seen. However, the rest of my dive gear is not based on brand but where I am diving, who I am diving with and that it will perform without a problem in the water.

I started by using a lot of Sherwood because they have good mid-entry products and it was the line my LDS offered...lately I have brand loyalty towards Atomic (reg/mask), OMS (all BCD products), and Bare/Henderson for neoprene.

Cheers.

-J.-

Mixed bag, see no reason to stick with one brand. Some companies are better at some things than others, and even if they're great at something might not be what I want.

I've tended to have a lot of Scubapro but not out of any sort of loyalty, just happened to work out that way.

If you want me to wear a t-shirt with a company logo, pay me or at least give me the shirt for free.

When I bought my drysuit, I also got a 'free' t shirt. However, since the suit is ML size, and the shirt is XXL, I reckon they did mean it to be worn over the drysuit. :D

Back
Top Bottom