Brain tumor surgery -- done diving forever?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'd still appreciate any advice from somebody with medical experience on my sinuses. I just don't know what kind of an impact this surgery might have on my equalization going up and down in the future. Thanks in advance!
@Francesea

Ah, sinuses. I've had extensive sinus surgery 2x. Now, they didn't go through the bottom of the skull into the brain, but that's bone and usual bone healing is 6-8 weeks, which is about the same amount of time you would be out of the water for a regular sinus surgery.

That part didn't benefit my friend either. He's got a chronic post-nasal drip he didn't have before the surgery. It's not critical so much as obnoxious.

FWIW I have pretty lame sinuses, lost my sense of smell and taste completely for 8 years, and generally NEED to submerge quite slowly, get stuck @ 12-15 feet for a couple minutes while the sinuses equalize before moving deeper. I also have chronic post-nasal drip.

The DAN opinion is uncontestable. I think the only real question is to let your surgeon know that you'd like them to take special care, so the bone can regrow as strong as possible. And then to have a followup (Xray or MRI?) after a reasonable time to actually *confirm* that it has regrown properly.

As we get older, things heal slower. So even in the docs say "two to four months" I'd let it go six months or longer, to err on the side of caution.

Good luck with the surgery.

John,

DocVikingo gave some sound advice in the other thread. As long as it doesn't create any air-filled spaces (which it shouldn't), your recovery goes well and you heal completely, you should be fine.

Best regards,
DDM

Hi folks... Just an update for anyone who ends up finding this thread. I did have the surgery just under one week ago. So far all seems to be going as planned. My neurosurgeon said I basically need to stay away from diving for no less than six months and maybe up to a year. Bummer... but good news that the prognosis for being under the waves again is good. I'll share more that might be helpful if I learn it. Thanks to all who chimed in with your help.

Additional update for all in case someone with a pituitary adenoma finds this thread. My first surgery was not as successful as my surgeons and I had hoped. They got a portion of the tumor -- but it continued to grow back. A little more than a year and a half later, I had a second surgery and the procedure was much more successful. I did get a chance to dive between surgeries and had absolutely no problems. And now that I am fully recovered from my second surgery, my wife and I plan to dive in Mexico in a couple months. My latest surgeon tells me that the scar tissue and bone regrowth of my transsphenoidal surgery typically heal very well and there is very little threat of any complications with a typical recreational dive. I'm cleared to get back under the water! Hope that helps others.

Fantastic!!! Congrats!!!

DW

Thanks for the updates. It's great to hear the final outcome.

Sounds like you are emotionally strong:. Holding it together when the first surgery wasn't the end of the story is impressive!

So glad to hear the final outcome is positive. Enjoy your dive trip! Post a trip report for us :)

Wonderful news, so very pleased for you

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom