“If you’re sick after a dive, take it seriously”- final update series

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

this thread is so old, but I'm bored so I'll update it again. kinda sick of having stuff to tell LMAO

symptoms returned, but they were different. long story short I produce too much CSF (cerebrospinal fluid) causing high pressure in the brain. so I'm getting a shunt soon. I couldn't tolerate the side effects of CSF-reducing medication. it'll be scheduled Tuesday after my final spinal tap. this is a rare complication of decompression surgery but I didn't exactly follow the recovery instructions so that is probably on me. not sure if I can dive with one, will have to ask DAN.

I'm honestly excited. back to a normal life (for the second time!).

Each step brings your closer to a solution. Keep up updated because I don't think there is a single person here who wouldn't be thrilled to finally dive with you someday.

Each step brings your closer to a solution. Keep up updated because I don't think there is a single person here who wouldn't be thrilled to finally dive with you someday.
aw, really? what makes you say that haha
I'd love to make new dive buddies.

aw, really? what makes you say that haha
I'd love to make new dive buddies.
Because we have watched your enthusiasm to get in the water, your determination to overcome setbacks that would have caused most people to give up long ago, your determination to use your own story as a vehicle for helping others. You are an inspiration to so many of us here on SB, and we really want to see you finally succeed.

Because we have watched your enthusiasm to get in the water, your determination to overcome setbacks that would have caused most people to give up long ago, your determination to use your own story as a vehicle for helping others. You are an inspiration to so many of us here on SB, and we really want to see you finally succeed.
aww, that's so nice! I definitely wanna help others, cause I can't find any information on my specific issues. so maybe someone else won't have to search as far, or feel as alone. also it's just kinda interesting to some people.
I get nervous cause a lot of people don't want to dive with new divers. I haven't dived in so long either. and would be so anxious that my skills have fallen off.

this thread is so old, but I'm bored so I'll update it again. kinda sick of having stuff to tell LMAO

symptoms returned, but they were different. long story short I produce too much CSF (cerebrospinal fluid) causing high pressure in the brain. so I'm getting a shunt soon. I couldn't tolerate the side effects of CSF-reducing medication. it'll be scheduled Tuesday after my final spinal tap. this is a rare complication of decompression surgery but I didn't exactly follow the recovery instructions so that is probably on me. not sure if I can dive with one, will have to ask DAN.

I'm honestly excited. back to a normal life (for the second time!).
Calling DAN now is probably a good idea. There may be a difference in limitations depending on the specific variations on the shunt placement, which might give you a choice, assuming your med-team is onboard/confident in outcome, with selecting the least limiting option(s).
Wishing you the best of outcomes!!

aww, that's so nice! I definitely wanna help others, cause I can't find any information on my specific issues. so maybe someone else won't have to search as far, or feel as alone. also it's just kinda interesting to some people.
I get nervous cause a lot of people don't want to dive with new divers. I haven't dived in so long either. and would be so anxious that my skills have fallen off.
Pretty much everybody has been rusty, recovering from .?. , or had an off day. If I am correct about your training, your new & rusty may be far better than the average anyway, and a couple of dives in, you'd be back in bubble-blowing form!

The pleasure of diving isn't just the dive, it is the people. You seem to be good people.

Calling DAN now is probably a good idea. There may be a difference in limitations depending on the specific variations on the shunt placement, which might give you a choice, assuming your med-team is onboard/confident in outcome, with selecting the least limiting option(s).
Wishing you the best of outcomes!!

Pretty much everybody has been rusty, recovering from .?. , or had an off day. If I am correct about your training, your new & rusty may be far better than the average anyway, and a couple of dives in, you'd be back in bubble-blowing form!

The pleasure of diving isn't just the dive, it is the people. You seem to be good people.
it'll likely be a VP shunt which drains from the brain to the abdominal cavity. and very true...but the last time was in July 2022 so pretty long.
and thanks! I want to go to another divers' meetup (not a diving one) but don't know when it'll be able to happen.

it'll likely be a VP shunt which drains from the brain to the abdominal cavity. and very true...but the last time was in July 2022 so pretty long.
and thanks! I want to go to another divers' meetup (not a diving one) but don't know when it'll be able to happen.
You could always be a surface buddy for a local group. Shop dives around here often last most of the day and having people up top to share with (and make a lunch) makes the day that much better. Dive vicariously through others until you're cleared to blow your own bubbles.

You could always be a surface buddy for a local group. Shop dives around here often last most of the day and having people up top to share with (and make a lunch) makes the day that much better. Dive vicariously through others until you're cleared to blow your own bubbles.
true! and I'm sure not every diver will want to go on every dive

Not related to the same condition that you have, but I do know someone (non-diver) that had a shunt put in and it made a world of difference. Hope it goes well for you.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom