Brain tumor surgery -- done diving forever?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

John_MN

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi..

I have recently been diagnosed with a fairly common type of a brain tumor called a pituitary adenoma. That is a tumor growing out of the pituitary gland at the base of my brain. It is causing headaches, dizziness and has completely screwed up my hormones and other chemicals in my body.

Surgeons typically remove tumors like this through a procedure called endonasal endoscopic surgery. A surgeon cuts through the back of your sinuses into the open space in the middle of your brain and sucks the tumor out. Sounds fun, huh?

Anyway... one of my many concerns is whether or not this particular procedure will mean that I have to give up recreational scuba diving for good. I'm mostly a vacation diver with a couple dozen dives under my weight belt. But I enjoy it very much.

I know I'll ask this question of my neurosurgeon. And he'll have an opinion. But does anyone here also have perspective to share?

Thanks very much...

My best friend (non diver) had that surgery. Pretty much destroyed his pituitary....the master gland. No thyroid, testosterone, or adrenal hormones. It can't get much worse than that. It did a job on him. Short term memory shot to hell for months, energy levels were bad, depression over the whole thing was a looming issue which continues to this day.
He's a pretty determined persistent person, pretty even keel emotionally, as well as a physician so he might have had a better grasp on the whole issue than most people. We've had a VERY active friendship, skiing, windsurfing, hiking, occasional biking. It REALLY messed those up for a good while, and they just aren't the same anymore.
Took about 2 years to get his hormone replacement therapy optimized. I'd say he's running at around 85% now, almost 5 years later.

My take, don't even think about diving until you see what your outcome is, and then have incorporated that into the rest of your life. Divlng will probably not be a priority.

Thanks for sharing your friend's story @fmerkel. I am very sorry that he has been suffering with those symptoms for so long. I'm going to do my best to hope and pray for a strong recovery in my case. And I will definitely be working with my endocrinologist to get my levels squared away ASAP.

I'd still appreciate any advice from somebody with medical experience on my sinuses. I just don't know what kind of an impact this surgery might have on my equalization going up and down in the future. Thanks in advance!

@Francesea I will be happy to report back on this post to let folks know how this little adventure turned out.

@John_MN - sorry I don't have a medical answer for you. I just wanted to let you know that I will be praying that all goes well for you and that you will get back to diving in record time! Looking forward to hearing how everything turns out...good luck!

Thanks for sharing your friend's story @fmerkel. I am very sorry that he has been suffering with those symptoms for so long. I'm going to do my best to hope and pray for a strong recovery in my case. And I will definitely be working with my endocrinologist to get my levels squared away ASAP.

I'd still appreciate any advice from somebody with medical experience on my sinuses. I just don't know what kind of an impact this surgery might have on my equalization going up and down in the future. Thanks in advance!

@Francesea I will be happy to report back on this post to let folks know how this little adventure turned out.

Are you a member of DAN? They likely have some information.

I believe prayers are powerful and am grateful that you would offer them up for me.

Then I think that's a big part of getting this goal accomplished! You got this :clapping:

Back
Top Bottom