Bradenton/Sarasota

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ILDiver

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
I'm leaving this morning for a trip to Bradenton. I'll be there for two weeks. I'm diving tomorrow (Monday) morning with Sea Trek Divers. My Daughter is supposed to finish up her Cert dives Wednesday with Sea Trek on the Sugar Barge. I figure there is the Barge and was told there is another beach dive I'll do with her as much as I can, if she gets her cert.

I'm wanting to get down to Venice also and look for the big teeth. My daughter will probably not want to do that. If there is anyone needing a dive buddy in the area I'll check back here when I can tonight and throughout my trip. I'm wanting to log as much dive time as I can (for as cheap as I can ;-). Dive safe yall!

--Chris

ILDiver:
I'm leaving this morning for a trip to Bradenton. I'll be there for two weeks. I'm diving tomorrow (Monday) morning with Sea Trek Divers. My Daughter is supposed to finish up her Cert dives Wednesday with Sea Trek on the Sugar Barge. I figure there is the Barge and was told there is another beach dive I'll do with her as much as I can, if she gets her cert.

I'm wanting to get down to Venice also and look for the big teeth. My daughter will probably not want to do that. If there is anyone needing a dive buddy in the area I'll check back here when I can tonight and throughout my trip. I'm wanting to log as much dive time as I can (for as cheap as I can ;-). Dive safe yall!

--Chris
Haven't been to Venice yet. Don't know the area, so I wouldn't be much help with where to go. New to diving, but loving every minute of it! I'd like to dive that area just for the experience. My regular dive buddy is moving to Georgia and hasn't been able to make time for diving :frown: I'd have to go on the weekend, can't get time off work. I have a friend in Bradenton but he's taking final exams and graduating nursing school and has been too busy for diving. I think he could help with locations, I'll contact him for some ideas. BTW, I've been in Central Florida for 15 years. Moved here from Southern Illinois. Small world, huh...

Lil38:
Haven't been to Venice yet. Don't know the ...

My Grandmother has lived in Florida for 25+ years, and now my parents live there. I've never been diving in that area. I got my cert in Panama City in '93. Now back in the muck diving.

I guess I limited myself, is there anything North near Tarpon Springs to shore dive? Or down around Fort Myers? I'll go on a boat trip too, but I want to get out and log dives and shore dives seem to be the best way to get in the water. A Megtooth hunt just sounds appealing. I considered a boat trip last year but decided not too.

--Chris

Hopefully, I will be able to dive Venice beach next weekend. We did pretty good there this weekend, I found two megs, a really nice mako, a couple of tigers, and around 80 bull, lemons, and sandtigers. They've just finished renourishment of the beach, and while the did kill the reef :(, tooth hunting there is, if anything, better.

I'm pretty sure I can get away one day next weekend (probably saturday), if you'd like to see what we can find.

ReefGuy:
Hopefully, I will be able to dive Venice beach next weekend........

.......I'm pretty sure I can get away one day next weekend (probably saturday), if you'd like to see what we can find.
ReefGuy and ILDiver, Saturday is best for me. Got the fireworks thing on Sunday. Left a message with my friend but if he's not diving with us, he really won't be much help. What time and where will we be meeting? I'll need to rent a tank too. I'm EAN certified, would it be necesary to go with enriched air? If so, what's the max depth, what's the recommended blend?

Saturday is looking good for me too, although right now that's subject to change (wife has been in the hospital lately). Directions can be found here: http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=60333.

Max depth is around 20'. EAN will, of course, work, but will not really provide you with any benefit. Water temp on Sunday was 82.

ReefGuy:
Saturday is looking good for me too, although right now that's subject to change (wife has been in the hospital lately). Directions can be found here: http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=60333.

Max depth is around 20'. EAN will, of course, work, but will not really provide you with any benefit. Water temp on Sunday was 82.
Sorry to hear the wife is ill. Thanks for the link on directions, some other sites included there too (that will come in handy.) I'll get a tank at the Florida West Dive Shop (from info on the above link) or somewhere before I get there. That's some really warm water, 82 degrees, eewww! I'm thinkin' I might need to get one of those lycra suits. I only have an o'neill 3:2. Our last lake dive was 86 degrees and I thought I was gonna fry! (or should I say...boil) :) Now, all I need to know is what time to be there. My guess is dive shops open around 8am? It's about a 2hr drive for me but I'm usually up 3-4am for my job. If I leave here at 6am, it will still be like sleeping in!!!

Florida West Scuba School is right up the road (about 5 minutes away). We usually get there between 9 and 10. I prefer 9, the vis tends to drop as the day goes on.

ReefGuy:
Florida West Scuba School is right up the road (about 5 minutes away). We usually get there between 9 and 10. I prefer 9, the vis tends to drop as the day goes on.
ILDiver, Is 9am on Saturday good for you? Anyone else interested?

Viz didn't get much worse this past Saturday when I did my second dive at about 3pm. I'd love to join, but that isn't going to happen. I may swing a morning dive Thursday, but thats a MAY.. I may swing a dive Monday morning as well provided there are good reports for the weekend dives.

Forget Ft Myers unless you go offshore. Nearshore its not much different than Venice, minus teeth and much shallower for a LOT farther out.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom