Bracketing with macro

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

just bought a new SnS but it is interesting. thanks. 3 fps should be enough for a nudi and if you bracket (as opposed to HDR) then you can set a time between flashes but minimum is 1 sec which may be a killer.

Regarding multiple flashes in hdr I tried it yesterday with my above water flash and didn't get even one flash!

For bracketing in macro just hold strobe closer or further away . I would not bother changing s hanging shutter speed or f stops use f stop that gives greatest depth of field. Use fast shutter speed for dark or black background

Again, I think we need to be clear about bracketing vs. focus stacking. I do a lot of focus stacking on land for bugs and tiny flowers and stuff (using hardware and software) but tomorrow I will try to get the EM-1 MII to shoot some focus stacks with an Inon 330 strobe at low power. Stay tuned.
Bill

Well I did the experiment this afternoon and was pleasantly surprised. The first pic is not stacked. Notice the shallow DOF.
not stacked .jpg

The second pic is shot with the following setup
Number of shots - 10
Set focus differential - 5
Time between shots 2 seconds

This was shot with the Oly 30 mm macro lens at f7.1. The strobes were the backscatter Mini x 2 If I set the time to 1 second I got every other flash. Note that all the nudibranch is in focus.
stacked.jpg

Of course to do this UW you need a tripod, holding still for 20 seconds is a non starter. This would be quite useful to shoot the Acanthadoris here in Los Angeles. We will be going out on Saturday, if I find a suitable non-moving Nudibranch I will give it a try
Bill

Very nice... I wish Sony would add this feature to their cameras. With Retra Pros on low power (which I could afford by shooting at apertures more open than my normal f/16-f/22), I could probably shoot the whole sequence in about a second at 8-11fps. A muck stick planted in the sand and held together with the tray left handle would probably function well enough as a tripod replacement.

Great stuff Bill, I wait with bated breath!

Have to find the nudis first. Lots of nudis around right now but most of them are crawling around happily
Bill

I've done lots of bracketing, both exposure and focus. I think to do it in the water, you'd have to use a tripod or other device to stop the camera from moving. Even with a fixed camera position, a moving subject can spoil a bracketed set... so you'll likely also need very little surge and a slow/non moving critter.

Generally you can tolerate some slight movement but it's surprising how little motion it takes to ruin a set.

Yeah, that is why I want to shoot some Acanthadoris. Mostly they aren't moving around much. Tripods are also necessary, with my strobes and 10 frames, I need like 20 seconds.
Bill

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom