BP/Wing Observations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I guess I have to agree with some of Chris' points. After about 400 dives in a jacket-style BC, I made the switch to the BP/single wing. I now have about 10 dives on that setup. I like it, I REALLY like it, however, I cannot say that my trim and comfort in the water is much better than with the BC. As already mentioned, if a new diver has ideas of tech, doubles, ect a BP/W would be the way to go from the start.

Scubakevdm:
Blasphemer!
Just jokin'. I have often said that I would dive with ziplock bags and a straw... but a garbage bag? You are a wild man.
ROFLMAO does not begin to describe it....where's the coke alerts when we need them?

Personally, I "go both ways" ... BP/W when it's indicated, jacket when I need it.

I like owning both a pickup, and, a sports car. Instead of trying to make one vehicle do every job.

All the best, James

Like most I earned my certification in a jacket style BCD. I also did my first 50 or so dives (10 years ago) in different jacket style BCDs. When I purchased my first BCD in 1995, it was custom made DuraPro SlimLine 385 Tech (weight integrated). I dove it almost exclusively up until 2002. I did experient with other people's BCDs, both jacket and back inflate styles during that time but only to try them out for two or three dives. In 2002, the good ol' SlimLine was showing some wear, albeit minor, and I decided an OMS IQ Pack w/AL backplate and a 45# single bladder wing was a good replacement. In early 2004 I replaced the IQ pack with an OMS Comfort Harness. I've also added the 32# single tank wing to my collection.

All that experience has lead me to concur with Chris... a good diver is a good diver and can make do with most any equipment. I do find myself tremendously more comfortable in back inflates than jacket style BCDs - beit for fit, unclutteredness or perhaps simply experience, but have a hard time saying I'm more comfortable in a BP&W vs a back inflate. I do feel as though I am able to fine tune my trim much more acutely with a BP & W than simply a back inflate.

I have the most difficutly identifying differences in hydrodynamics/stability of different sized wings. Having dove a DuraPro/AmerSea's 75# Expando wing, Zeagle Ranger w/44# wing (I think it was 44#), Dive Rite's Travel and Venture Wings, OMS 45# and 32# wing all with single tanks I can't tell you that one feels more hydrodynamic/stable than the other underwater. I contribute this to the fact that I believe I am properly weighted and have pretty good buoyancy control, allowing me to dive with very minimal air in my wing.

ZoCrowes255:

In my opinion I think part of the BP/W deal is hype. Newer divers come on here see the praise and think "Hey, did I make the wrong purchase" blah blah blah and so on and so forth. They then purchase a BP/W and dive. Well, as you dive more you become a better diver. They then attribute that to the BP/W when in reality it is the diver coming to a better understanding of proper weighting and breath control in relation to buoyancy control . I am not saying this is everyone it is just an observation. Many of the biggest BP/Wing proponents on this board seem to be newer divers.
Note: Currely I only dive singles. This thread has nothing to do with BP/W use with doubles and sling tanks

For diving singles, there is no significant benefit or point in diving with a BP/W. The primary point for a BP and Wings is to be able to handle the gear necessary for tech dives. Most BC's have a plastic plate which is not strong enough to support the weight of doubles and other gear. Most BC's do not offer enough lift to safely dive with doubles and other tech required gear. Most BC's do not offer enough D-rings or places to store gear needed for tech dives.

Many people say the BP/W offers better tank stability on your back. I have never used a BP/W with a single so I can't comment on that.

I think most BP/W owners advocate newbies start out with the BP/W because it can be used for any application. You can use a BP/W for single recreational dives or deep decompression dives. Why not start with the equipment that will work no matter what diving you choose to do? I wish I went straight for the BP/Wings simply to have saved the $450 I spent on a BC. I had to buy a different system for a tech transition.

--Matt

Shock - i might one day buy a jacket BC for pool work, something to soak up chlorine and leave my wing for real water, this if course is not how i would do it if i really wanted to keep consistency :wink:

OneBrightGator:
Since backplates aren't the cure-all for bad divers, when you do find it, please let me know, I could definitely use some.
I do have one Ben. It's called diving more often lol

I've seen you in the water man you are definitely not a bad diver.

That is actually the main reason I picked up the BP/Wing system. Eventually I would like to get more into the technical aspect of diving. Up until this year I was standing on the borderline in terms of instruction because I was qualified to teach NAUI Wreck Penetration courses. Now that the standards have changed I am only qualified to teach external survey. Penetration is now considered a technical course. Personalyl I think this change is for the better.

matt_unique:
For diving singles, there is no significant benefit or point in diving with a BP/W. The primary point for a BP and Wings is to be able to handle the gear necessary for tech dives.

Many people say the BP/W offers better tank stability on your back. I have never used a BP/W with a single so I can't comment on that.

--Matt

Matt , I have to disagree. I immediately felt at home with my BP/W diving singles. I hate clutter and felt restricted in the BC's I used in OW training. I loved the "open" streamlined feel of the simple one-piece harness. I liked the fact I could move weight over my lungs by diving a BP. If I blow my wing I can get another for $200-$300 bucks and be back in business. Or I can upgrade my lift requirements if I feel the need. I think there are many benefits for a single tank diver.

Well thanks Chris, I suppose living the dream will do that to a diver.

simbrooks:
Shock - i might one day buy a jacket BC for pool work, something to soak up chlorine and leave my wing for real water, this if course is not how i would do it if i really wanted to keep consistency :wink:
I never did understand that idea, paying extra for something you already have in a style you don't even prefer... I beat up, and I mean beat, dragging it across boat decks and concrete, falling off picnic tables, 2 second rinses, my singles setup this summer, diving it everyday (pool and ocean) and it's barely even faded.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom