Bp/w

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mtldiver

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm a newb and I'm wondering with a BP/W set up can you weight yourself any other way than with a belt? I really don't like a belt so I'm looking for alternatives. I'm trying to research different systems before I purchase.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, you're going to get a lot of advice. This is one of the most controversial topics on here.

A Stainless Steel Back Plate is about 6 lbs, so you if you go Stainless you'll have that much taken care of. A single steel tank will also add some weight, so that is also a great way to re-weight yourself. One of the benefits is the weight is centered with the lift (both your lungs and your wing) instead of at your waist so you tend to dive more horizontal.

Be safe and have fun in the water! Bruce

You don't have to use a belt with the BP/W. They sell weight pockets that can go straight on to the webbing.

You can also get a weighted STA which will add about 5 lbs directly under the tank.

Or you can use a DUI Weight & Trim Classic harness. I prefer the Classic because it is adjustable. The latest version is not.

But you really should start with telling us how much weight you are using and how you're carrying it.

The cold water diver will select a SS backplate, a negative steel tank and still have weight in a harness. One consideration with adding more weight to the BP/W is that it gets HEAVY. With a 43# tank, a 6# plate and a 2# regulator, that's all I want to lift. I carry the rest of my weight in a harness that I can don separately.

Warm water divers (T-shirt) might select a Kydex or aluminum plate and may decide to use an aluminum tank so they still have some ditchable weight. Or they may decide to integrate all their weight (probably 6-10#) with a SS plate and some cam band weights.

Richard

I'm a newb and I'm wondering with a BP/W set up can you weight yourself any other way than with a belt? I really don't like a belt so I'm looking for alternatives. I'm try to research different systems before I purchase.

Absolutely, that's one of the main benefits of the plate and wing - to place the center of buoyancy over the center of gravity and to allow more flexibility in where your weight is placed. The plates are different weights, typically about 5 or 6 lbs. for stainless steel and about 2 lbs. for aluminum. In addition to this, weight pockets ( see XS Scuba) can be added to your cam bands. In fresh water, for example, in a 3mm suit, I use the steel plate only. In salt water wearing a 7mm, I have a 5 lb. plate plus 14 lbs in four different pockets on cam bands. The purpose of all of this is to allow you to position weights in a manner that will produce horizontal trim.

DSS plates allow you to bolt weight plates onto the Backplate itself. I have a set that lets me add 8lbs to mine. Nice with single tanks and diving dry. BUt if I need more weight wit hsay and AL80 and my singles rig a weightbelt is my preferred option. On under the crotch strap with xs pockets on it mounted upside down. If I would need to ditch weight jusy pull the velcor on the pocket and weight drops out without losing the whole belt or the pocket.

I'm a newb and I'm wondering with a BP/W set up can you weight yourself any other way than with a belt? I really don't like a belt so I'm looking for alternatives. I'm trying to research different systems before I purchase.

This a very frequent request I hear when helping new divers select the appropriate components for a BP&W.

**Don't Fear Weight Belts**

Most new divers have been over weighted during class, and many are diving "fluffy" buoyant vest type BC's and buoyant aluminum tanks.

This all combines to result in 14-16-18-22-(gasp) 24+ lbs weight belts.

Massive ballast in a belt is a true pain, but 4-6-8 lbs is very easily tolerated by most divers.

Why not simply hang all your ballast on your rig? Stainless Back Plate, negative Steel tank, weight pouches, camband weights, you know heap it all on the rig, yippie no weight belt!!!!!

Here are the drawbacks:

Your rig will become very heavy and hard to move about out of the water.

If you need to don your gear in the water it's much more difficult if you have no ballast on YOU and are floating like a cork, and cannot get your feet under you to "swim" into the gear.

Weight pouches take up space on your harness waist belt that you might want for other uses, such as a canister light etc.

**HAVING ALL YOUR BALLAST ON YOUR RIG WILL REQUIRE A LARGER WING**

The minimum ballast required to go diving is equal to the buoyancy of your exposure suit when your tank is near empty, other wise you cannot hold a safety stop.

If your rig represents 100% of your ballast when your tank is empty you have to add the weight of your gas to this value to determine the maximum negative buoyancy of your rig with a full tank.

Lets say your exposure suit is 18 lbs positive, and your "rig" consists of a medium SS Backplate and Harness, regulator and HP100 steel tank.

Your rig will be about -18 lbs with a full tank, 6 lbs for the plate and harness, 2 for the reg, and -10 for a full hp100. Your rig will provide about 10 lbs of ballast with an empty tank (100 cuft air = 8 lbs) If your suit is +18 and your rig provides 10 lbs of ballast you need another 6-8 lbs in a weight belt, no big deal.

You can use a small, low drag easy venting 20 lbs wing. 20 lbs of lift will float a rig that's at most -18 lbs, and 20 lbs of lift can compensate for a fully compressed exposure suit (Your suit cannot loose more buoyancy than it starts with)

Lift is good.

What happens if you instead hang 8 lbs of lead on your rig?

Now your rig is no longer -18 lbs with a full tank, but it's -26. Now you need a 30 lbs wing.

A few lbs in a weight belt is simply no big deal......

Tobin

Lots of good advice above. Here are the ways I can think of off the top of my head:
a) Regular weight belt
b) pocket weight belt
c) SS Backplate.
d) Trim weights that go on to the cam band(s)
e) Bolt on weights for a DSS plate
f) Weighted STA for a BP
g) steel tank (or doubles or both)
h) harness (DUI or Seasoft)
i) can light
j) Add integrated type weight pockets to the waist band of the plate.
k) Ankle weights (can be useful with certain dry suits)

So, tons of ways. I agree with Tobin -- I like to have some of weight not on the rig but on me. All sorts of reasons including the ability to ditch some weight if need be. For me, the best solution was (c) and (h)

I have zeagle weight pockets on one system, and diverite weight pockets on the other. I hate weight belts.. don't have hips to hold them on.. and harnesses I find rather uncomfortable. As I dive in anything from a skin to two layers of 7mm neo (and a dry suit)...having an adjustable system is important. I'm limited to 22 lbs of ditchable weight...which with 10 lbs of neoprene, a 50 lb tank, a 7lb SS back plate and assorted other stuff..does get a bit on the heavy side.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom