BP/W vs Jacket vs Travel BC

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NuclearHokie772

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am 6'2, 190lb relatively experienced diver with about 80 dives under my belt. I am looking at getting a new BC since the one I have is a bit big for me now. I am lucky enough to live in Hawaii so I will be doing warm water diving. I keep hearing about the BP/W. I had not heard of this setup previously. My question is what is the advantage of the BP/W setup over a traditional jacket or even a hybrid or travel bc? Is this a more technical setup or is it still useful for more average diving? I am starting to do more underwater photography (got a new Nikon with an Iklite housing) so would one style work better for that. I would appreciate any advice or information or links to info. Thanks in advance.

If you are fortunate enough to live near this guy
rather than inside an Internet computer machine?

He will help point you in the right direction and bring you back again safely.

IMHO, they are all different types of BCDs and all perform the exact same functions.

A travel BCD is simply any sort of BCD that is made with a focus on light weight and reduced bulk. They are gaining popularity due to increasing airline baggage weight restrictions/costs.

A BP&W (Backplate and Wing) is a modular design of BCD, based around a solid backplate (steel, aluminum or nylon) to which you attach your choice of wing (bladder) and harness. You can also attach other functional elements, such as integrated weighting and pockets, if required.

Obviously, the modular design is a benefit in itself; as it allows the diver to specifically customize their rig for their own requirements. As such, it is very popular with divers who prefer a minimalist approach to their diving (more streamlined, less bulky).

Another issue is fitting. A BP&W can be put together and adjusted to create a perfect fit for the individual diver. This makes it a very good for 'odd-sized' divers. However, most BP&W users (of any size) will testify that they tend to fit much better than the standard jacket BCD. One reason for this is that the variable volume bladder (the wing) is mounted behind the diver and does not envelop them like a jacket BCD does. This means that the fit of the BCD does not vary when the diver adds or removes air to the bladder.

Another benefit of the modular BP&W approach is that it can easily be adapted or upgraded over time. This creates some element of 'future proofing' as the diver's needs and requirements alter over time and experience. The BP&W can be upgraded for double tanks and can easily form the basis for a full technical or cave diving configuration.

Most BP&W divers will also state that the BP&W enables more instinctive development of good horizontal trim and buoyancy. This is because the backplate itself spreads a proportion of the diver's weight over the length of their torso and, in addition, the bladder (wing) itself allows an even spread of air/buoyancy. In contrast, the use of a weightbelt and jacket bcd tends to create a 'see-saw' buoyancy problem, where a weightbelt (below the 'fulcrum/balance point of a horizontally trimmed diver - lower torso/hips) pulls down the diver's lower body, whilst the compensating air (above the fulcrum/balance point of a horizontally trimmed diver - upper torso) raises their upper body.

BP&Ws tend to have less material and bulk than jacket BCDs. This should logically increase their stream-lining through the water. A more stream-lined diver will encounter less water resistance and therefore expend less energy on a dive. Less energy/effort expended should also reflect in a lower air consumption. The streamlined nature of a BP&W is also highly popular with divers who operate in restrictively sized environments; such as caves or inside shipwrecks.

BPWs are very popular on the forums and have distinct advantages but in my experience a diver has to "fiddle" with them more to get a good fit in most cases. If you do not travel to dive, dive frequently and/or want to get some lead off you belt, they would be high on list.

I used a BPW at first but have since switched back to a back inflate. BIs are easier to adjust on the fly, work similarly as a BPW in the water and have no setup learning curve. My main reason for switching was that we travel dive more than locally dive so a BPW just wasn't as practical as a very light BC (and you can get a travel BPW but like the lighter wings on travel BCs personally).

Not a fan of jackets. The only place they are better is really on the surface waiting for a boat or in some cases swimming to a site. Underwater a back inflate/wing has a better buoyancy profile and has less material in the front so it isn't as cluttered.

BPWs are very popular on the forums and have distinct advantages but in my experience a diver has to "fiddle" with them more to get a good fit in most cases. If you do not travel to dive, dive frequently and/or want to get some lead off you belt, they would be high on list.

I used a BPW at first but have since switched back to a back inflate. BIs are easier to adjust on the fly, work similarly as a BPW in the water and have no setup learning curve.

There are quick adjustable harnesses available for BPW.:D

Not a fan of jackets. The only place they are better is really on the surface waiting for a boat or in some cases swimming to a site.

How is this? I don't have an issue with comfortability while bobbing on the surface in either a jacket BC or a BPW. If anything, swimming out to a dive site is easier on a BPW since that when you swim, it's best to be in the horizontal position.

Underwater a back inflate/wing has a better buoyancy profile and has less material in the front so it isn't as cluttered.

That's a big advantage of BPW and back inflate over a typical squeeze-me jacket BC.

Get a Deep Sea Supply travel wing 17lb and kaydex backplate, that is the smallest lightest way to go tropical. I use a 26lb wing and stainless plate and need no weights for a 3 mm wetsuit when I travel.

You might want to look into the Zeagle Express Tech. It is not quite a BP but has a semi ridgid plastic composite plate with that uses a harness similar to a metal PB and you can get several different size and style wings from Zeagle. The base unit with harness and a 24# wing weighs a little more than 5#.

It is very customizable with Zeagle and third party accessories.
There have been several threads on this board about them.

Express Tech - Backplate BCs - BCs - Zeagle Dive Systems

Express Tech Deluxe - Backplate BCs - BCs - Zeagle Dive Systems

How does one get into using a bp/w? I don't have a lot of experience diving, but do LDS usually have these available for rent? How do I get trained on using one?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom