BP/W vs Jacket vs Travel BC

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@chemdog: Some dive shops do rent out BP/W rigs. Most don't, though.
The BP/W is the BCD of choice for the GUE and UTD instructional agencies. If you sign up for any lessons with instructors affiliated with those organizations, you are sure to get lots of good advice on assembling, fitting, and customizing your BP/W.
Another option is to join a local dive club and ask around. I don't know where you live in California, but we see a good number of BP/W divers here in SoCal.

Formal training on how to operate a BP/W really isn't necessary. If you show some initiative, you can string together all of the knowledge you need by combing the Internet and many threads here on ScubaBoard.

Just make sure that you do a proper weight check when you transition to one from a conventional BCD.

I agree with the recommendation for Hawaii diving, if you are using a minimal wetsuit, of the Kydex play and 17 lb wing. You will feel as though you have nothing on at all!

I went with the DSS kydex plate and am very happy with it. For thin wetsuit/no wetsuit diving if you wore little to no weight with a jacket you will certainly need none with a BP no matter what it's made of, so the lighter it is the better. I rarely wear a wetsuit and with no weight have no trouble at all staying at 5' with a nearly empty tank. I'll have to test that with a 3 mil eventually but I'd bet I'd still be heavy enough to not need weight, lights and other gear are enough, it's easy to get over-weighted in a rash-guard.

I am 6'2, 190lb relatively experienced diver with about 80 dives under my belt. I am looking at getting a new BC since the one I have is a bit big for me now. I am lucky enough to live in Hawaii so I will be doing warm water diving. I keep hearing about the BP/W. I had not heard of this setup previously. My question is what is the advantage of the BP/W setup over a traditional jacket or even a hybrid or travel bc? Is this a more technical setup or is it still useful for more average diving? I am starting to do more underwater photography (got a new Nikon with an Iklite housing) so would one style work better for that. I would appreciate any advice or information or links to info. Thanks in advance.

Well thanks for the input. Sounds like BPW is the way to go. Now time to do some research on what type of BPW equipment to get.

Aloha NH,

Not knowing many details about you, your diving and your other research on this subject, it is hard to argue that this thread (and the linked thread) has or has not "answered" your query.

Other than being too large now, did you have any other complaints about your current BC?

There are a lot of decent used BC's floating around the Hawaiian Islands; even more on eBay. My number one BC was $120 shipped off eBay. It was a used rental SeaQuest vest and I have put thousands of dives on it over the last 5 years (pool & ocean). All my big money is spent on camera gear. Got a few hundred dives off a $20 SeaQuest Balance (back inflate) bought at Salvation Army.

I think photography is easier in a vest, for a number of reasons. :D

halemanō;5795079:
There are a lot of decent used BC's floating around the Hawaiian Islands; even more on eBay

Their original owners probably sold them to upgrade to a BP/W :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom