BP/W Suggestions...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

All the posts seem to favor a simple hog web rig.....

I on the other hand went from that to a Dive Rite Transplate harness for my cold water rig and prefer it......

Two reasons - I switch between a 7 mil, 7 mil with hooded vest, drysuit with light undergarments to drysuit with heavy undergarments as water temps change....the rig is very adjustable.....while a hog rig is infinitely adjustable, once the stiff webbing gets "set" it is hard to make small adjustments.....the Transplate harness is easier in that respect (at least for me).....

The second item is the quick release - the other weekend the water temp was 39 degrees air temp was 26 degrees, and after the second dive with cold hands in the freezing cold wind it was so easy to click the buckle and swing out of the rig......could I do it with my hog harness...yes....but the Transplate harness is easier to get out of....especially since we "over" inflate our drysuits right after the dives to keep warm......

I will say that my warm water travel rig is a hog harness but that is a different type of diving.......

Just my thoughts.......it works for me......M

while a hog rig is infinitely adjustable, once the stiff webbing gets "set" it is hard to make small adjustments.....the Transplate harness is easier in that respect (at least for me).....

This is one of the advantages of the elastomeric grommets molded on the DSS back plates. Small adjustments are quick and easy.

The second item is the quick release - the other weekend the water temp was 39 degrees air temp was 26 degrees, and after the second dive with cold hands in the freezing cold wind it was so easy to click the buckle and swing out of the rig......could I do it with my hog harness...yes....but the Transplate harness is easier to get out of....especially since we "over" inflate our drysuits right after the dives to keep warm......

It's cheap and easy to add a QR buckle to a Hog harness, a few $$ for the buckle and few $$ for the local shoemaker to stitch it.

This is one reason why I recommend divers start with the simple Hog harness. Most will find it perfectly suitable and the few who do not can cheaply and easily modify it.

I should add than many divers who are switching from a jacket Style BC to a BP&W assume they will need to ratchet their harness down tight like they do with their jackets in an effort to try and keep their tank from flopping around.

Once they learn that it's not required with a BP&W, because the plate eliminates tank flop, and they learn how to adjust their harness the whole slip and slide quick adjust harness requirement fades away.

Tobin

It's cheap and easy to add a QR buckle to a Hog harness, a few $$ for the buckle and few $$ for the local shoemaker to stitch it.

I've never needed to use a QR with my Hog harness, but I've heard many recommendations for using a simple metal weightbelt buckle. That wouldn't require any $$ to the shoemaker for fitting...

What are your opinions on using a weightbelt/waist buckle on the shoulder snap? Is there a reason why you'd opt for a QR instead?

I've never needed to use a QR with my Hog harness, but I've heard many recommendations for using a simple metal weightbelt buckle. That wouldn't require any $$ to the shoemaker for fitting...

What are your opinions on using a weightbelt/waist buckle on the shoulder snap? Is there a reason why you'd opt for a QR instead?

A Hog harness looks intimidating, and many new divers are reluctant to try one and or spend the 3-4 dives necessary to get one dialed in.

The reality is simply knowing that it's possible to add a buckle is enough to get most new BP&W divers to *TRY* a simple one piece harness.

The number that actually choose to add any kind of buckle can be counted on the fingers of one foot.

Tobin

I know a young lady with feet fingers, it must be more common than I 1st thought. She has eye globes as well.

Thanks for a great idea. Just tried it out and it works great.
Bill

Check the Deco Stop for a great sticky post By Tobin from DSS regarding wing lift. May surprise most male divers to learn that bigger is not always better.

Back
Top Bottom