BP/W Suggestions...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fxrguy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am just getting back into diving after a prolonged absence. I have only recently joined the Scubaboard forums. This is a really great site with a lot of very experienced divers sharing their knowledge. I am really learning a lot having been out of the sport for about 10 years.

I originally started diving back in the late 70's and dove for 20 years with an old Seapro At-Pack system. I loved that the weights were integrated in the backpack and I didn't have to wear a weight belt. The rig had a tremendous amount of lift and was fine for cold water diving with a wetsuit but after I moved to the Keys it was overkill. Well I wore that BCD out by the mid 80's so I upgraded the At-Pack by eliminating the weights in the backpack. I purchased a jacket that laced right up to the old backpack but the weights were integrated in the cumber-bund pockets on each side. I hated this set up as it caused me to roll. It is really encouraging to see that BP/W systems are so accepted these days as they were considered dangerous back in the day but we users knew better!

I am getting ready to pull the trigger by summertime on a new or gently used BP/W as I wouldn't dive with a jacket then or now. I want to get a system with the SS back-plate because that's what I liked about the old At Pack with the weights integrated in the back. I found this setup "really" stable underwater. Basic webbing with maybe shoulder pads and crotch strap to decrease the rig creeping up my back will probably be adequate.

My question/s would be what brand BC's or rig setups or would you BP/W users suggest? I live in Florida am not into cold water diving. Maybe some diving off Daytona with a thin wetsuit but will probably spend most of my time in warm water in south Florida. I weigh about 170 lbs. Not sure how much lift I will need but am thinking 30 lbs will do. Also which type wing would you recommend a horseshoe, which is what I used to use, or a doughnut? I guess my basic questions revolve around the following subjects;

Brand BC's and rig setup suggestions?

Necessary Lift?

Horseshoe/doughnut wing?

Decrees rolling?

Rig creeping up back?

I'm sure as time goes on I will have a lot more questions but I think this is enough to get started on. I would really appreciate any knowledge you guy would like to share with an old and slightly rusty diver.

Sorry, I should have added that so far I've been looking at the following manufacturers:

Hollis Hog BP/W

Dive Rite Transplate

Golem Oxycheq 30# Signature SS Combo

Zeagle - Not sure what they have to offer?

I live in S. Florida and I use DSS (deep sea supply) rig. Kydex BP & 20# wing. I dive steel tanks so it is advised to use kydex or aluminum BP for our warm water diving. If you mostly use aluminum 80 tanks, a steel BP will better serve you. A crotch strap will help prevent your rig from riding up.

The horseshoe vs doughnut wing debate is just that.... A debate. I have used both and have not seen an advantage of one over the other. You shouldn't need over 30# lift. I dive steel 100 and @ a maximum a 3mm wetsuit and use a 20# wing. You will also need to determine whether you want a rig that uses a STA (single tank adapter) or a wing that has the stabilizer built in like DSS & oxycheq Mach V. And despite what some may say not all BP are built the same or feel/fit you the same. I've dove with halcyon, dive rite oxycheq, and DSS. IMHO DSS fits and feels the best above and under the water. And you can't beat Tobins customer service, although halcyon & zeagle have great service to.

Brand BC's and rig setup suggestions?
Halcyon, DSS, Oxycheq or Agir. There are differences in price, quality, materials and customer service.

Necessary Lift?
You can calculate what life you will require. BP&W typically comes in three sized 18-20lb, 30lb and 40lb.

Have a look at this thread: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/bu...ems/158370-ultimate-wing-lift-calculator.html

Horseshoe/doughnut wing?
Doughnut are the 'newer' design. The benefit is that it allows 360 degree air migration, which enables more efficient dumping. I don't see a reason to get a horsehoe design wing any more...they are antiquated.

Decrees rolling?
Not sure what you mean by this?

Rig creeping up back?

A properly adjusted crotch-strap completely prevents this. A crotch strap is an essential component of a proper BP&W set-up.

Other issues:

Backplate?
Stainless steel, aluminium or nylon (rigid or flexible). This depends on your weighting and also any requirements to travel (baggage fees) with your kit. If travel isn't an issue and you prefer to reduce the dumpable weight in your belt, then opt for stainless steel.

Harness?
My advice is to opt for a simple harness initially (A 'Hog' harness). This consists of basic webbing, belt buckle and 4 D-rings, plus crotch-strap. Most divers are tempted to opt for a more 'decorative' deluxe style harness, because of various marketing tactics or simply because they are 'familiar' with lots of dangling plastic from when they previously used a poodle jacket. A vast majority of deluxe/comfort harnesses subsequently end up on Ebay. Only upgrade if you NEED TO. Go for cheap, simple and minimalist first....the upgrade to expensive as a second resort.

I agree with sharkbait on the horseshoe vs. Donut difference. I've used both, it really doesn't matter to me.
-Mitch

A plate is a plate is a plate, sort of. Unless you buy a set up brand new, I doubt you are going to get what you want in gently used, it may be close but not exactly. The cost of new looks horrifying at first glance, but the gear will last a long time if cared for. I bought and dove several used set ups from e-bay to identify what "I" really was looking for in a rig.
When I went to doubles and bought my first "new" rig I bought a dss plate and harness with a oxycheq wing. The choice between the wings came down to one fact for me. Dss wings are known for being bullit proof, but sewn shut. The oxycheq same rep with zipper. I travel alot and wanted the option if the bladder did get an issue the zipper would allow me the oportunity to apply "duct tape" lol
Eric

My cold water rig is:

"H" SS plate
Dive Rite Transplate harness
Hog 32 lb wing
Oxycheq STA
ScubaPro tank bands
XS Scuba weight pouches

So about as mixed up as you can get, rig dives great and it all fits together perfectly. I ended up this way because I bought the items used or on sale - like the wing for $200 the "H" BP was used, the Transplate Harness was a close out on Dive Rite Express, etc....

Hope this helps.....M

I agree with sharkbait on the horseshoe vs. Donut difference. I've used both, it really doesn't matter to me.
-Mitch

I guess it doesn't matter, unless you are doing horizontal ascents..and maintaining good horizontal trim throughout the dive. When you are doing that, then you need to use the rear dump...and that means donut has an advantage.

If you're still ascending vertical body position, and dumping from the LPI hose, then there is not much practical difference between donut and horseshoe designs.

I agree with DD....

A donut wing offers slightly more flexibility than a U wing....

All my wings are donuts......

M

For what it is worth I had to buy a new wing and went with a horseshoe instead of the donut which I had previously used. I noticed a difference in dumping immediately and it is certainly easier with a donut than with a horseshoe. The difference is minimal ... nothing worth agonising over ... but it does exist.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom