BP&W setup

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

the top sits proud because the harness is wedged between the backplate and wing is this right ? To me looks like harness should be weaved through wing and sta?

Yes, that's right. If it was weaved through like that, you would have to unthread the whole harness just to remove the wing from the plate.

My local dive shop (heavy tech diving shop) just told me due to the slots in the backplate I should throw the sta adaptor away as tank should be more than secure without it , although he laughed at my one piece harness and said its 1900s technology and just because you have two straps like a diverite or a quick release you're not going to die had to laugh a little about his passion to hate on one piece

To me looks like harness should be weaved through wing and sta?
The harness should only be weaved through the backplate, not through the STA or Wing. The cam-bands that wrap around the tank are threaded through the STA or Wing seperatly.

imagine the sta sitting on backplate at this point the sta and backplate will touch down the bottom but up top there is a gap from where the harness eyelet is.
That is normal.

My local dive shop (heavy tech diving shop) just told me due to the slots in the backplate I should throw the sta adaptor away as tank should be more than secure without it
The good thing about the BP/W is that you can try it with the STA on a dive or two, then try without the STA and see which you like more. Personally I prefer the STA.

not sure if it's correct, but what i ended up doing was attaching the one-piece harness to one hole using one bolt, then attaching the STA and wing to the backplate on another hole that's higher up and separate from the one-piece harness hole.

The two bolts should do everything. The webbing/harness is threaded through the backplate only. The wing is sandwiched between the backplate and the STA. Only two bolts hold them all together.

There are cam bands that will attach to the tank. Those are threaded through the STA only. So once you put your rig together, you can attach a tank just like you did with your old BC.

The two bolts should do everything. The webbing/harness is threaded through the backplate only. The wing is sandwiched between the backplate and the STA. Only two bolts hold them all together.

that's exactly what i tried, and there were too many eyelets stacked on top that made it too thick for the bolts to reach each other.

that's exactly what i tried, and there were too many eyelets stacked on top that made it too thick for the bolts to reach each other.

There is *zero* need for a grommet in the harness webbing. You could cut a horgarthian harness in two at the grommet and it would not unthread in use. The webbing makes 2 90 degree turns and 180 degree turn on each side between the back center of the plate and where it passes over the top of the plate. You can remove those grommets with a pair of diagonal (dikes) cutters. Heat seal the edges of the hole if you feel the need.

Tobin

dive gear express, where i bought the kit, suggested i crush the grommets. i'll take a hammer to them and see how it goes. if that doesn't work, i'll see if i can tear off the grommets.

Tobin is right, of course, that the grommet just makes it look clean and has no real function. Before I changed it out, I had 13 or 14 years on my harness with just a hole burned through, and I only replaced it because it was fraying. There's no force put on the harness at the hole.

But even a thick grommet shouldn't be a problem, because the bolts usually have quite a bit of extra thread. Just to be clear, on the STA, the bolt does not go through the cam band. The only time a bolt goes through webbing is in the center-top of the backplate.

I can't quite tell what the problem you're having is, because you didn't post any pictures. But here are a few that may help:

image.jpeg image.jpeg

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg View attachment 374762 image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    68.9 KB · Views: 51
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    82.2 KB · Views: 59
Just to be clear, on the STA, the bolt does not go through the cam band. The only time a bolt goes through webbing is in the center-top of the backplate.

i know exactly what you mean, and no, the cam bands are not sandwiched in there between STA and BP.

Back
Top Bottom