BP&W or Bcd for single tank drysuit diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Was that last part a typo or are you saying BP&W for all diving? But in a humorous way. I have both but can never decide which one I am more comfortable in when using my drysuit. I also think that my harness on my diverite stainless steel transplate may need to be adjusted because it either restricts my movement or allows too much movement of tank depending on how much I tighten shoulder straps

I cannot think of a single situation where I would rather have a jacket BC than a BP/W. In addition to the aforementioned advantages in terms of trim and ballast, it is more comfortable, more customizable, more durable, more repairable, and more stable than a jacket. I would recommend one to any diver without hesitation. I take my steel backplate and singles wing to the Caribbean and dive an aluminum 80 with 4 lbs in some trim pockets on the cam bands. The same backplate goes with me on a northeast deco dive in doubles and a dry suit, so everything is always in exactly the same place.

Now having said that, let me make one thing clear. I am well aware that there are a lot of divers out there who are very happy with their jacket BCs and there a some divers who have tried a BP/W and don't like it. While some of the latter might be due to poor fitting, I definitely know that some people just prefer a jacket BC, and I have no argument with any of them.

But that's my 2 PSI.

The only dives I'm not in a BP/W are sidemount cave dives, and that's been the case since my first dive out of OW class.

Back
Top Bottom