BP/W n00b needs help...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubajoh44

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
I just ordered this...View attachment 29522

I really know NOTHING about BP/W's. I was told on my other tread (How does this look for a setup) that it was a pretty good deal for $200. I took the plunge and ordered it. What else do I need to get? Is this single threading? What kind of weights will I need with it? Tank band? I see that it says it comes with a single tank adapter. I will be wearing singles. What else do I need to do? Looks like I got in over my head :yourkiddi , but I got me a BP/W anyway. Glad this is a good place to learn, because I have a lot to do on this one.:help_2:

Weight Integration - 30 lb capacity (20 lbs Diver releasable - 10 lbs non-diver releasable trim weights for improved weight distribution and balance)
Contoured shoulder straps
Stainless Steel back-plate
Heavy Duty Stainless Steel single tank adapter counter-plate
Crotch Strap
Adjustable waistband, assures stability and comfort
8 Stainless Steel D-Rings
Front expandable pocket
Sternum strap
1000 Denier Ballistic material
SIZES/LIFT: Small/75 (THIS BC RUNS EXTREMLY LARGE - FITS MORE A LIKE A MEDIUM)

scubajoh44:
I just ordered this...View attachment 29522

I really know NOTHING about BP/W's. I was told on my other tread (How does this look for a setup) that it was a pretty good deal for $200. I took the plunge and ordered it. What else do I need to get? Is this single threading? What kind of weights will I need with it? Tank band? I see that it says it comes with a single tank adapter. I will be wearing singles. What else do I need to do? Looks like I got in over my head :yourkiddi , but I got me a BP/W anyway. Glad this is a good place to learn, because I have a lot to do on this one.:help_2:

Weight Integration - 30 lb capacity (20 lbs Diver releasable - 10 lbs non-diver releasable trim weights for improved weight distribution and balance)
Contoured shoulder straps
Stainless Steel back-plate
Heavy Duty Stainless Steel single tank adapter counter-plate
Crotch Strap
Adjustable waistband, assures stability and comfort
8 Stainless Steel D-Rings
Front expandable pocket
Sternum strap
1000 Denier Ballistic material
SIZES/LIFT: Small/75 (THIS BC RUNS EXTREMLY LARGE - FITS MORE A LIKE A MEDIUM)
Nice deal! You're gonna' love it.

Without getting specific (others will do that), IMHO, your best bet is to find someone who dives with a BP/W and hook up with them for some dives. This will save you tons of time.

It looks sturdy enough ... but it's difficult to tell just from the picture. On the other hand ... $200? Really? SWEET!

The harness isn't single-threading ... it's a multi-piece harness. The advantage is that it will be similar in fit and function to what you've been used to with a traditional BCD. The disadvantage is that replacing it will be expensive, because you have to replace all the hardware as well as just the strap (unless at that point you decide to replace it with a standard one-piece harness).

My only concern with this unit ... especially for a woman ... is the 75 lb lift. That's a LOT of lift for a singles rig. My first doubles rig had a 70 lb. lift wing, and I ended up selling it because it was too much wing for the application ... a pity they don't make that rig (yours) with a 40-45 lb wing instead.

It's nice to see the "mainstream" manufacturers offering BP/W choices ... and I think overall you'll enjoy the benefits.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I can't see on the picture. Can you tell me what brand it is? That's a good price.

One of my problems is that no one here dives BP's. In fact, I've never even seen one. Scubaboarder's will have to be my BP/W class.

It's a Dacor.

Perhaps you could also be a little more sensitive with your use of language? I know its probably a "Texas" thing, but "retard" is a very offensive term that was more or less discarded in the 1970s...where are the moderators on this kind of thing? Some people have relatives, or friends, or kids, or kid's friends, etc., that are learning disabled, or mentally challenged, and don't appreciate that kind of language...

Grateful . . .
If she wants to refer to herself with that description, she certainly has the right.
However, you and I can't . . .

the Kraken

gratefuljames:
Perhaps you could also be a little more sensitive with your use of language? I know its probably a "Texas" thing, but "retard" is a very offensive term that was more or less discarded in the 1970s...where are the moderators on this kind of thing? Some people have relatives, or friends, or kids, or kid's friends, etc., that are learning disabled, or mentally challenged, and don't appreciate that kind of language...
Please... politically correct, no. Whining to mom, even worst.

Of course this will now become the big topic for the day.

Back to the topic on hand, I had the first Dacor Rig and loved it, this one looks pretty nice!

I'm sure now I'll be banned or suspended because I questioned the use of the word "retard" and pointed out the hypocrisy of selective enforcement of TOS...what a bunch of hoo-hah...I don't understand why you are deleting my posts based on content that is non-offensive and in accordance with TOS just because I am pointing out how moderators speak out of both sides of their neck (sometimes the Bill of Rights applies, others, its a "private board" and posts can be deleted or edited for content based on TOS)...like I said, if the Bill of Rights applies, let freedom ring, and let's have at it and eveyone can say what they really like!!!! That would be more fun anyway...LOL....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom