BP/W & Long Hose In a PADI IE Exam

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Guys, this is NOT the DIR Forum, so Koolaid is unappreciated. The OP's question is about the IE....and Peter has already said the 7ft hose is not a good idea.
I think we are pretty much in agreement.
The OP never mentioned getting on his knees....that was from post #2 from someone else.

Now. teaching in a DIR rig is a different animal, but assuming his students have any need or desire to go that path is on the line between presumptious and pretentious, and is definitely disconcerting.

What "path" are you talking about? Any instructor will pass on whatever biases they have when they teach. Teaching in a BP/W is no more presumptious/pretentious than teaching in a jacket.

Thanks all for your inputs. Has anyone taken the IE in a full DIR gear (or seen it done in an IE)? How did the examiner react?

Also sinceol the rescue test involves complete gear removal (victim and rescuer) while giving one rescue breath every 5 seconds, the instructor candidate assigned to "rescue" the guy in a BPW is certainly not going to have fun.

Get serious. The OP's question was about the IE, and a BP/W + 7ft hose. Why should he make his IE harder?
Now. teaching in a DIR rig is a different animal, but assuming his students have any need or desire to go that path is on the line between presumptious and pretentious, and is definitely disconcerting.

Not quite sure why it would be disconcerting for you, to see the OP try and take Quality dive instruction to a higher level, with PADI. We have already seen some GUE instructors that have taught full OW courses to non-divers, turning them into extremely capable certified OW divers, using Bp/wing, long hose, and all the major DIR and GUE ideas that fit into an introductory course...the students found it very easy to get perfect trim and bouyancy, because it was taught from the first moment they got in the water. The students NEVER were taught the massively IGNORANT "skill" of kneeling to demonstrate anything, and so they had no bad habits that had to be fixed.

GUE will never be big....that is not it's mission. On the other hand, there are "some" brilliant people in the PADI system, and I would love to see more take on the common sense ideas of DIR, and incorporate this into introductory PADI dive classes--as Peter Guy has done. Maybe it's time for PADI to take another big JUMP, to a higher level.

tursiops -- I did not say "the 7ft hose is not a good idea" but that a 40" primary was a BETTER way to go in my opinion. There really IS a difference between saying is "not good" and something is "better."

But, and I'll merely re-emphasize this point -- it is my opinion that the most important gear to wear in the IE is the gear that YOU will be most comfortable using. As far as any "students" -- what issue could there possibly be with a BP/W or primary donate? The BP/W is MUCH simpler than even the simplest jacket and primary donate is primary donate -- whether you use an Air2 or necklaced rig.

OP -- BTW, when I did my IE (again, 6 years ago), I was bemused to see the local staff who assisted in BP/W's.

Thanks all for your inputs. Has anyone taken the IE in a full DIR gear (or seen it done in an IE)? How did the examiner react?

Also sinceol the rescue test involves complete gear removal (victim and rescuer) while giving one rescue breath every 5 seconds, the instructor candidate assigned to "rescue" the guy in a BPW is certainly not going to have fun.

My halcyon harness has one buckle to release. I don't need a weight belt or weights in pockets....it is a balanced rig....to rescue me in a class, you would undo the single waiste buckle, the long hose is removed in an instant, and the only slight complication is that there is a necklace reg bungie you have to slide over the head....but this is also easy to do....compare this to rescuing a dozen different divers in stabs with all manners of integrated weight systems you have never seen before, with potentially up to 4 or 5 buckles you have to FIND AND THEN UNDO...

I think the issue in the IE is just not knowing what the issues are....again...ask Peter Guy!

What "path" are you talking about? Any instructor will pass on whatever biases they have when they teach. Teaching in a BP/W is no more presumptious/pretentious than teaching in a jacket.
Read my original post. He wants to teach in a full DIR rig because he wants his students to not have to buy gear twice as they progress in their diving careers. My point was that MOST of his students won't even buy gear, but will rent it from whatever boat/resort they go to....and they will not get BP/W/Long hoses.

Now if he said he wants to teach in a BP/W/long hose on occasion to show students an alternative configuration, OK, but he needs to think of THEIR needs not HIS.

Do you really want to pass the IE or stick out like a sore thumb at the IE?
Keep it simple and comfortable..
I am an IDCS instr.

Read my original post. He wants to teach in a full DIR rig because he wants his students to not have to buy gear twice as they progress in their diving careers. My point was that MOST of his students won't even buy gear, but will rent it from whatever boat/resort they go to....and they will not get BP/W/Long hoses.

Now if he said he wants to teach in a BP/W/long hose on occasion to show students an alternative configuration, OK, but he needs to think of THEIR needs not HIS.

I think you are right.

And people HERE have a hard time understanding this, they need to realize there's a whole world outside of scubaboard

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom