bp/w Interchangability and wing reccomendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

j3rmzh

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I have a OMS IQ Pack with a rather large bungee'd wing and would really like to work towards eventually switching it out to a Hogarthian rig, the setup I have now is just a bit much for me (a ton of D rings, straps, buckles, and a wing that is way bigger then I need)

It am planning on pulling out the backplate, STA Adapter, and cam bands and then switching out to a single wing perhaps Halcyon, DSS, or Golem gear.

Is it possible to use my OMS backplate with these wings or do I need to get an OMS wing? It seems that there is a standard spacing to allow most wings to work with most plats is this true for the OMS plates as well?

and my second question, does anyone have any suggestions on these wings? They all seem like great companies that build quality products, I am looking for a singles wing that will be used for cold water diving got some good recommendations from Tobin at DSS but thought I would see what you guys thought.

I have a OMS IQ Pack with a rather large bungee'd wing and would really like to work towards eventually switching it out to a Hogarthian rig, the setup I have now is just a bit much for me (a ton of D rings, straps, buckles, and a wing that is way bigger then I need)

It am planning on pulling out the backplate, STA Adapter, and cam bands and then switching out to a single wing perhaps Halcyon, DSS, or Golem gear.

Is it possible to use my OMS backplate with these wings or do I need to get an OMS wing? It seems that there is a standard spacing to allow most wings to work with most plats is this true for the OMS plates as well?

and my second question, does anyone have any suggestions on these wings? They all seem like great companies that build quality products, I am looking for a singles wing that will be used for cold water diving got some good recommendations from Tobin at DSS but thought I would see what you guys thought.

Tobin at Deep Sea Supply in Los Angeles or Patrick at Oxycheq in north Florida are the experts who could answer any of your questions on this.

I have Tobin's plates and Patrick's wings.

If you are willing to use a STA, then almost all back plates will work with almost all wings sold today. When you use a STA all you need is holes at 11" centers in the plate an grommets at 11" centers in the wing.

Keep in mind that STA's add stack height, add parts, and most STA's will limit your choice of tank position (how high or low the tank is place relative to the back plate)

STA's do provide a bit of ballast.

IF you want to direct mount the tank, i.e. not use a STA but run the cambands thru the wing and plate, things become more complicated. At a bare minimum you need to have a plate and wing that have camband slots that line up. There is no standard to the length or position of these slots in either the plates or wings.

If you mix and match plates and wings the result may be a wing that cannot be adjusted relative to the plate, and depending on the features built into the wing to limit tank rock, the plate shape (center channel depth width and shape may or may not be compatible.

I suggest that if you want to direct mount you should source your plate and wing from a single vendor.

Tobin

cool_hardware52:
Keep in mind that STA's add stack height, add parts, and most STA's will limit your choice of tank position (how high or low the tank is place relative to the back plate)
Understand and agree with regard to stack height and parts. Curious about the tank position comment. They don't seem to 'limit' tank position that much, do they? Yes, you can't easily mount the tank so low that the top is below the upper cam band of the STA, but that would seem to be pretty low. Was that what you meant?

Understand and agree with regard to stack height and parts. Curious about the tank position comment. They don't seem to 'limit' tank position that much, do they? Yes, you can't easily mount the tank so low that the top is below the upper cam band of the STA, but that would seem to be pretty low. Was that what you meant?

Conventional STA's place the upper camband slot at the very top of the plate. That will often force the tank to be mounted quite high on the divers back.

Tobin

Conventional STA's place the upper camband slot at the very top of the plate. That will often force the tank to be mounted quite high on the divers back.

Tobin

i had not thought of that. to me STAs are a solution to a problem that should not exist. just buy a wing that's designed to eliminate the need for an STA (DSS, and now even oxycheq is coming around whereas Halcyon took a step back into the dark ages). it would obviously be completely counterproductive if you buy a streamlined wing to reduce drag and then you mount your tank up high.

cool_hardware52:
OK, I understand where you are coming from. Thanks. I just pulled out my STA (Dive Rite ABS) to remind myself of where the bands are, which is right at the levels of the bolts, which puts the center of the top band between 0.75" and 2.25" below the top of the plate, depending on the hole used.

to me STAs are a solution to a problem that should not exist.

Which problem is that... the fact that the water temps in of our oceans, lakes and rivers are less than 98.6 degrees... or that our gas storage devices come in a cylidrical shape?

i had not thought of that. to me STAs are a solution to a problem that should not exist. just buy a wing that's designed to eliminate the need for an STA (DSS, and now even oxycheq is coming around whereas Halcyon took a step back into the dark ages). it would obviously be completely counterproductive if you buy a streamlined wing to reduce drag and then you mount your tank up high.

I have to believe that drag differential due to the location of your single tank being higher or lower is in fractions of percent. A good example of a problem that does not exist in the real universe.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom