BP/W: I officially don't get it

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Actually, there is one scenario you would have to use your own equipment to get the victim to the surface. If the victim ran out of air there would be no way to inflate their BC. You would have to bring the victim to the surface with your BC and manually inflate their BC once you got there. Not as hard as you might imagine if you drop their weights before you bring them up.

Not saying anything else about the rescue technique but if you can orally inflate your own BC, why would you/victim not be able to do the same for victim's BC (meaning under water of course, not on surface)?

You can have a mix and match BP/W system. Some people have different size tanks and different exposure suits. For this reason, they will have different backplates and wings.

Not only do I know this but I practice it, I have 3 different exposure suits and I'm about to buy my 3rd wing... I think you need to reread my posts?

Actually, there is one scenario you would have to use your own equipment to get the victim to the surface. If the victim ran out of air there would be no way to inflate their BC. You would have to bring the victim to the surface with your BC and manually inflate their BC once you got there. Not as hard as you might imagine if you drop their weights before you bring them up.

Oral inflator is always an option either by them or the rescuer, they shouldn't be so negative that they couldn't swim their rig up anyways, especially after dumping weight.

I'm basically in the same boat-----bought a Dive Rite BP/W about 2 months ago just for the heck of it, had never seen one in real life---but just wanted to for the heck of it.......My conclusion: dives exactly like my Zeagle Scout--without any pockets........Most people IMO make way too much of a BP/W ie a good simple BC works equal to a BP/W.......

I've got a Zeagle Stiletto and I've always considered it to be basically the same thing as a DR Transpac or BP&W without the hard plate. The main disadvantage as I see it is that my Zeagle is buoyant (exactly how buoyant I'm not sure) whareas the BP&W would mean I could drop some of the lead I have to carry.

I've got a Zeagle Stiletto and I've always considered it to be basically the same thing as a DR Transpac or BP&W without the hard plate. The main disadvantage as I see it is that my Zeagle is buoyant (exactly how buoyant I'm not sure) whareas the BP&W would mean I could drop some of the lead I have to carry.

The bouyancy of the Stiletto requires a scant .9 kg.

Recently took the plunge and bought a Halcyon BP/W set-up after reading all the "sturm and drang" on this board for years. My verdict: it's OK, but barely different (if at all) from a basic, pedestrian BC.

Give me good diving conditions and interesting marine life and, frankly, I couldn't care less about equipment (providing it's safe, of course).

So, I don't get it. Why don't people on this board care more about what they're seeing underwater instead of worrying about what they're wearing?

Don't you guys think this was a troll....the OP hasn't responded to any of the posts?

First of all, if he did read all the "sturm and drang" on this board for years, then he wouldn't have bought Halcyon BP/W set-up :)

Secondly, if he didn't recognize a significant difference, then maybe he's buoyancy was so bad to start with that nothing will help :)

The bouyancy of the Stiletto requires a scant .9 kg.

Hey, thanks, is that all it is? I thought it would've been a little more. Where did you get that figure from, did you measure yourself? I've always been meaning to but have just never gotten around to it.

My verdict: it's OK, but barely different (if at all) from a basic, pedestrian BC.

Barely different?

Explain how I can dive both singles and doubles on the same dive trip using a basic, pedestrian BC.

Barely different?

Explain how I can dive both singles and doubles on the same dive trip using a basic, pedestrian BC.

I believe I have a couple "pedestrian BC's" (Scubapro and Seaquest) that will switch from singles to doubles with no more (maybe less as no wing to change) effort than changing a BP/W. But I don't see myself ever going back to them from my BP/W.

the BP&W would mean I could drop some of the lead I have to carry.
Only the "BP" bit of it. The wing has little bearing. And then only if the backplate is stainless steel. If you fly with your backplate these days that's unlikely to be the case, and a resin or aluminum backplate weighs very little.

That said, it's easy to attach weights to a backplate and the best travel solution, if you must use a backplate, is probably a resin one (that doesn't set off all the alarms at airports) that you attach weights to (at top and bottom) on arrival.

Obviously you'd choose a simpler less flexible solution for your home diving setup, or for something you only carry around by car. Back when I used to fly around the world diving, I used equipment that was adequate for the diving yet still portable. My home diving gear was way too heavy to fly with. Even the drysuit I use at home weighs 30lb.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom