BP/W for tall guy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jeffromonty

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I'm thinking about getting into a BP/W set up but have not found a lot of long BP's. I'm 6'6" and don't know if a regular BP will work. Also how about the wing? Thanks for any help you can give me.

You might be a little more comfortable in a long plate, but the standard size would still work fine. You'll just need a lot of webbing for a harness. I think there's only an inch or two difference in length between 'standard' and 'long' plates anyway, but that's a guess. The wing is more sized for the tank and doesn't have much to do with your height, although there is one thing you might watch out for. If your torso is very long and you adjust the harness so that the plate fits relatively lower on your back, you might want to avoid the really short corrugated inflator hoses, like some are 12", maybe go for 18".

You can really move the location of the plate on your back around by adjusting the length of the shoulder straps and the crotch strap. That's part of the beauty of the BP/W with standard webbing harness system.

You might be a little more comfortable in a long plate, but the standard size would still work fine. You'll just need a lot of webbing for a harness. I think there's only an inch or two difference in length between 'standard' and 'long' plates anyway, but that's a guess. The wing is more sized for the tank and doesn't have much to do with your height, although there is one thing you might watch out for. If your torso is very long and you adjust the harness so that the plate fits relatively lower on your back, you might want to avoid the really short corrugated inflator hoses, like some are 12", maybe go for 18".

You can really move the location of the plate on your back around by adjusting the length of the shoulder straps and the crotch strap. That's part of the beauty of the BP/W with standard webbing harness system.

A.) OP will only need "a lot of webbing" if he is also wide in addition to being tall. I'm tall, but not wide, and had to trim a large amount of webbing off of what comes standard.

B.) The plate should not end up positioned "relatively lower on the back" especially if one plans to ever go to doubles, as you need to be able to reach your valves. Lowering the plate on the diver's back will likely preclude that. Plate should be positioned so that (without tanks, etc) you can touch the top of the plate with either hand by reaching back. With that done correctly, there'd be no reason to get a longer corrugated hose.

Last edited:
Try either DSS or Halcyon. They both make quality equipment. DSS you can dive the single wing without a STA. halcyon you will need a STA. Some people like the STA,some don't. Suggest you try both ways, if you can find some people with set ups and try them. If not, they are both quality rigs. DSS will sit closer to you and many people prefer this. Do a search or start a topic on STA vs no-STA for the pros and cons.
I went with the short BP because I have a very short waist and I'm small. Makes a huge difference in my comfort.

I'm thinking about getting into a BP/W set up but have not found a lot of long BP's. I'm 6'6" and don't know if a regular BP will work. Also how about the wing? Thanks for any help you can give me.

The main difficulty tall people have with standard plates is the location of the waist strap. Your waist is just below your rib cage. If the plate is too short you may find the waist strap passes over your lower rib cage.

Hose length is usually not a factor for tall people, but it can be for those that are "barrel chested" i.e. thick from front to back.

Wing capacity is largely a function of the buoyancy of the diver's exposure suit. Remember that BC's are used to compensate for things that change in buoyancy WRT depth, and that's pretty much only the diver's suit.

I'd be happy to walk you through your options. I can be reached most week days at 626-799-5074

Tobin

I'd be happy to walk you through your options. I can be reached most week days at 626-799-5074

Tobin

When I was looking for a new BP/W I searched many different brands and styles. I think I read no less than 30 threads and posted at least 10 questions of my own.

It was only after I called DSS and let Tobin walk me through my diving styles and future equipment configurations that I was truly comfortable with my purchase from DSS. I have never once doubted or had second thoughts of my DSS BP/W. It is now primary gear and I love it.

I hope you find what you are looking for...

~Oldbear~

I use the DSS xtra long BP (6' 4") and although I'd like it a little longer it's comfortable.....You can compensate for the tanks (valves) being lower by moving the tanks bands down (closer to the bottom of the tanks) and that should bring the valves up higher to where you can reach them........

You can check if someone is willing to sell their FredT backplate. He made them in long and extra-long versions.

yes it will make a difference, an DSS "fits" the bill (very few available as talls aside from them)...... Tank sits in the right place, webbing (waist) is where it should be... it isn't a gimick, its bliss! At 6'-7", I live it.

You are going to pay for it, but that is likely not new news to you. Being outside the lines of "average", everything comes at a premium.... again, I live it.

Back
Top Bottom