BP/W for me and my son?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

what makes you say that?

Just the way this was worded, "using nothing but their plate, harness and reg for ballast." He didn't say "and nothing else". It's not a big deal, just the way I interpreted what Tobin meant.

Move those flippers and head to the big air tank in the sky.
Overexertion causes medical issue. For example, diver experiences leg cramps.

You keep coming up with these ridiculous fantasy scenarios in order to justify quick release weights on a buoyant jacket BC as somehow being "safer" than a BP/W.

Here's a different scenario, one that actually does occur on planet earth as opposed to your imagination.

A diver in a shiny new scubapro jacket BC at 100 ft with 16 lbs of weight in quick release pockets accidentally loses a weight pocket and heads right for the surface, and suffers decompression injury from the uncontrolled ascent.

Better cramped than dead. It's also why you dive with a buddy and stick with them (or carry an SMB/liftbag). Not 10 yds away. If you're more than two arm lengths you may as well consider it solo diving in my book.

Gee and you were bragging recently about how fit Colorado divers were. . .

The way you've been going at this apocalyptic scenario I assumed the diver didn't have legs...

Then you're a weak slug who has no business scuba diving. If swimming 100ft means you get leg cramps, how are you going to get back on a boat? Or carry a scuba tank? Stay on the couch like you have been, at that point.

This is getting beyond tired..........

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just the way this was worded, "using nothing but their plate, harness and reg for ballast." He didn't say "and nothing else". It's not a big deal, just the way I interpreted what Tobin meant.

yeah, ballast to offset the wetsuit and the divers inherent buoyancy. The point is you do lift requirements based on fully compressed wetsuit and full tank, and ballast requirements based on empty tank and uncompressed wetsuit

yeah, ballast to offset the wetsuit and the divers inherent buoyancy. The point is you do lift requirements based on fully compressed wetsuit and full tank, and ballast requirements based on empty tank and uncompressed wetsuit

Yes, I'm aware of that... thanks. :wink:

Looking at post 194 where you quoted Tobin's post and added this
did you not see the black where he said there is no wing to fail?
, I've read the black part and there is nothing that says there is no wing.

I'm not sure why we're arguing (discussing) semantics. I merely pointed out that Tobin didn't say there was no wing, you insist he did. In his example the diver would be ~10 lbs negative at depth with full suit compression and a full al 80. Certainly not a dive ender but a wing would make it more enjoyable and easier to maintain neutral buoyancy.

Back
Top Bottom