BP/W for me and my son?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hmmm. . . they are not sold by a $ubapro Platinum dealer?? :D

Beaverdivers has been selling backplates for *years*. I'm sure he's heard about if not sold aluminum plates before.

Clearly he thinks there is something dangerous about BP/W BCs for tropical diving. I'd like to figure out what it is. If nothing else, this information might be somehow applicable to me too.

Beaverdivers has been selling backplates for *years*. I'm sure he's heard about if not sold aluminum plates before.

Clearly he thinks there is something dangerous about BP/W BCs for tropical diving. I'd like to figure out what it is. If nothing else, this information might be somehow applicable to me too.

Ahhh but the $ubaPro backplate is pitched at the technical diver and would be too big for the BS scenario Casey has everyone discussing.

And a Platinum dealer can only sell one brand of dogfood. Sorry no aluminum plate and the smallest wing is 30 lbs

Anybody want to leave the BS behind and get back to the original conversation? I don't know about you folks but I am tired of reading this pssing match between Tobin, StuartV and Beaverdivers.

What did the OP decide to do for a BP&W? I would be interested in reading what he did for himself and his son.

Anybody want to leave the BS behind and get back to the original conversation? I don't know about you folks but I am tired of reading this pssing match between Tobin, StuartV and Beaverdivers.

What did the OP decide to do for a BP&W? I would be interested in reading what he did for himself and his son.

I've provided volumes of topic specific advice and examples. Are you suggesting that I and others should let falsehoods go unchallenged? How does this help, particularly how does it help those considering a BP&W and the factors associated with them?

Note the OP Mark, has contacted me, and I made a specific recommendation. Mark posted about this interaction. Beyond that I have no additional information.

Tobin

Ahhh but the $ubaPro backplate is pitched at the technical diver and would be too big for the BS scenario Casey has everyone discussing.

And a Platinum dealer can only sell one brand of dogfood. Sorry no aluminum plate and the smallest wing is 30 lbs

There is a scubapro AL backplate. In fact, it is one of the top quality plate IMO. I have one, I like it. It is exactly the same as the Halcyon plate but with more holes for tank height adjustment. In fact, I think it is made by Halcyon

I sent BPW set ups to a father and son in British Columbia last year. They love them. I have an article that gives you a lot of info if you'll send me an email address. On top of that I am more or less local to you and can get you set up quickly. Shoot me a PM or call me for a price on rigs for you and your son. I sell HOG and Manta set ups. Assembly is free if you'd rather not do it yourselves.

I'm the father that Jim mentioned. My son and I love our HOG backplate sand regs. My son has grown a foot and we've switched from wetsuits to drysuits and only had to adjust straps to keep things fitting. Very nice!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unless he's a complete idiot, which I don't believe he is, he doesn't really think that BP/W systems are dangerous for tropical diving. He's simply attempting to do what he frequently does on SB, which is to steer a conversation in the direction of buying the gear that he sells.

Being overweighted can be considered "dangerous" to any diver in any scenario, but that, of course, has nothing to do with the type of BC used. It has everything to do with being a competent enough diver to weight yourself correctly.

I believe your question is the essentially the same one that I asked: What is the best BP/W for both warm & cold water diving?

Believe me I am trying to stay on topic. I am curious what was recommended to the OP.

---------- Post added September 6th, 2015 at 09:15 AM ----------

I would say for the optimal configuration, 2 wings. I have a Torus 17 for warm water and an LCD 30 for cold water and use both with my steel plate. :wink:
I did find where a recommendation was given by bryanmc57.

Anyone else have one?

I believe your question is the essentially the same one that I asked: What is the best BP/W for both warm & cold water diving?

Believe me I am trying to stay on topic. I am curious what was recommended to the OP.

One more time. There is no one stock answer. It depends on the specific circumstances, and the degree of compromise each individual is willing to accept.

There is good reason that the typical "I'm looking for a BP&W" phone call is 15-30 minutes long.

The OP contacted me via PM and I replied via PM.

If the OP wants to share it's ok by me, but it's not my place to offer the contents of private messages.

Having said that I have provided in this thread and 100's of other places all the info one needs (particularly a professional) to answer this question.

Tobin

You've been given the answer several times already. If you want a different answer, you probably are going to have to ask a different question.

If that diver only wants one solution, then they would do what I did when I first started diving a backplate. They would buy an aluminum plate. Diving in the tropics without exposure protection means you have ~2lbs of ballast from the BC. When diving at home where there would be more exposure protection, they would then add the required ballast through a variety of techniques.

I don't know if the above is something that Tobin would recommend with his Kydex plate. But this approach worked just fine for me when I was using an aluminum plate almost exclusively.

I recommend Kydex plates when a SS plate will over weight the diver.

Typical examples for fit to reasonably fit divers:

No exposure suit and al 80 cylinders

Thin suits and negative steel tanks

Big steel doubles in warm fresh water even with thicker wetsuits, think long shallow fresh water Cave dives in Mexico

Now, how about you provide some answers of your own. You stated:

If you plan to do most of your diving in the tropics ( warm water ), your suit is 3mm or thinner & you have a low % of fat, then a BP/W may be a poor choice and even hazardous.

Can you elaborate on your scenario?

According to Tobin, a Kydex plate system is ~2lbs negative. An aluminum plate is probably within a pound or so more negative. Add another 2ish lbs for a reg. That is 4lbs of ballast. The usual al80 that dive ops lend out are about 4ish lbs buoyant when empty. With this combination, the system will be roughly neutral at the end of dive. Put a different way, at about 1500psi on the aluminum 80, this diver will need almost no gas in his wing. When he takes a breath, he will ascend. When he exhales, he will descend.

If you take your example diver, how will this system be dangerous on a dive to tropical destination? Honest question.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom