BP/W for a New Diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So here's a "bubba" idea: would it be possible/practical to add a SS backplate to an existing BC by threading the tank cam straps through the plate? (between the BC & tank)

Might be a way to move some weight off my belt & could add a harness & wing later when the BC dies.

What is this dimension?

hogbackplate2.jpg
Wouldn't that put the plate between the bc bladder and cylinder? Be kinda funny looking and depending on the bc it might restrict inflating. Better idea would be to add weights to the cam bands.

Well...it is a "bubba" idea so funny looking isn't an issue.

Yes, this would put the plate between the bladder & tank. I'm just thinking of the plate as a different shaped weight that might interfere with the cam bands less than the bullet weights I'm tinkering with now.

strap-spacing.jpg

Splitlip's got a great point... That would be a little screwed up, and it doesn't look like it would fit very well anyway.

If you would consider purchasing a backplate for $100 or $150, go ahead and purchase the whole system for $299 and be done with it.

Weighting would be right, too. :) No more screwing around with duct tape trying to get it right... And you'd have a system that could handle doubles, stages... Whatever.

Point taken.

One thing at a time...after our token winter plays itself out in another week or so, I'll see how the bullet weights work out & go from there.

Cheers.

Point taken.

One thing at a time...after our token winter plays itself out in another week or so, I'll see how the bullet weights work out & go from there.

Cheers.

I wonder if it might be easier to adapt a weighted STA? Not sure how it would attach, but would not be as bulky as the backplate.

Or I could be way off.

Point taken.

Cheers.
You might consider weight pouches on the strap. Xs scuba makes a pair with Velcro on the outside one to catch Velcro on the cam straps.

I dive with a pair of flat one pound lead weights on my upper strap, but also have the weight pouches if for some reason I need to add more. I can do so without unthreading.

That would probably be nicer than the bullets.

I looked at some pouches at the shop but they wanted $37 & my cheapness response kicked in.

Hmmm...$15 delivered from Amazon...

Last edited:
I wonder if it might be easier to adapt a weighted STA? Not sure how it would attach, but would not be as bulky as the backplate.

Or I could be way off.

Ooops...STA=? Sorry, been out of the loop for a while.

a few minutes later...

D'oh!!! Single Tank Adaptor...

Might work---hunk of metal with slots that can be strapped to the tank. I was focussing on the backplate cause it's already the right weight, but your idea might work too.

Ooops...STA=? Sorry, been out of the loop for a while.

a few minutes later...

D'oh!!! Single Tank Adaptor...

Might work---hunk of metal with slots that can be strapped to the tank. I was focussing on the backplate cause it's already the right weight, but your idea might work too.

You don't have to use it with the 6lbs weight insert. That's the beauty of a modular system. With a SS plate, sta (with optional removable 6lbs weight), two trim pockets on the lower cam belt, you adjust your weight from 6lbs to 22 lbs total.

Back
Top Bottom