BP/W decision-question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you're worried about weight, have you considered just a delrin or pvc plate? I recently made a PVC backplate that I ended up forming with the SS plate I have, so it is almost identical. Difference is obviously weight, but the money saved on a new plate could be used for some weight pockets for your harness and/or cam band pockets. I don't think I'd put a lot more than about 6 pounds on cam bands though, I think it would get awkward.

I think I'd compensate for the SS backplate with cam band pockets and compensate for SW/FW differences with a weight belt or pockets on my harness belt, if it were me.

Looks like several of us gained BP/Ws for Christmas and wonder what the salt water will be like. For my $0.02 I wouldn't spend money on a AL BP just to save 3# in baggage weight. If you like your buoyancy in the pool (slightly negative) you'll probably be fine in sw or may want to add a pound or two. But, according to the spreadsheet, your set up (like mine) is pretty much on.

Attachments

• Buoyancy Estimate Worksheet.xls
    84.5 KB · Views: 101
So lets say I keep the SS BP. I add 4 pounds of weight to the cam bands and achieve proper buoyancy.
Does anyone see a problem with this? Is not having ditchable weights in this situation really that big of a deal? I do not know for sure what king of tank I will be renting, but guessing alum.

So for the sake of argument, if I went from SS to Al, I would subtract about 4-5 lbs. Then fresh water to salt another 5 pounds.

Is adding 10 pounds in cam band weights comfortable and safe or is that too much? I have no idea, never done it obviously. Am I just worried over nothing? Fiji is a big deal for us, so I want to be as best prepared as I can be.

Keep your steel plate, it's not like you're lugging it up a mountain. To me there is a difference between a steel plate and an AL plate with 5 lbs on the cam straps, even though the total weight/ballast is the same. The steel plate is better. If you felt a tad heavy in the pool, you'll either be just right in salt water or you'll need a couple of pounds.

You can attach XS scuba cam band pockets (WAY cheaper than H) to the waist belt to add a few pounds if necessary, or on the cambands themselves.

I always get a smirk out of reading about the poor, poor people who are so worried about the excess baggage charges that they're willing to spend money on extra-light gear just to avoid it. A few weeks ago I packed for a week dive trip, included 2 full long-hose reg set ups for single and double tanks, 2 wings, extra wetsuit, 2 dive lights, books, and clothes and my bag weighed in at 45 lbs. Mostly because I use a light duffel bag rather than a 12 lbs rolling case. I guess I'm being a bit smug about the whole affair, but I would suggest that you choose your dive gear based on how it performs underwater and then just deal with the slight extra weight.

I would not worry about ditchable weight in a tropical setting with an AL tank. You can surely swim your rig to the surface if necessary, and ditch the whole thing in an emergency that's very unlikely in the first place.

Is not having ditchable weights in this situation really that big of a deal?
Meh. Not that big of a deal, IMO. Others may disagree. Just make sure you have a balanced rig.

Having ditchable weight does give a diver more options when trying to establish positive buoyancy at the surface. I think inexperienced divers should always have some ditchable weight.
Keep your steel plate, it's not like you're lugging it up a mountain. To me there is a difference between a steel plate and an AL plate with 5 lbs on the cam straps, even though the total weight/ballast is the same. The steel plate is better.
I notice very little difference between using a SS BP and using an AL BP with 4 or 6 lbs. on camband straps.

I always get a smirk out of reading about the poor, poor people who are so worried about the excess baggage charges that they're willing to spend money on extra-light gear just to avoid it. A few weeks ago I packed for a week dive trip, included 2 full long-hose reg set ups for single and double tanks, 2 wings, extra wetsuit, 2 dive lights, books, and clothes and my bag weighed in at 45 lbs. Mostly because I use a light duffel bag rather than a 12 lbs rolling case. I guess I'm being a bit smug about the whole affair, but I would suggest that you choose your dive gear based on how it performs underwater and then just deal with the slight extra weight.

Exactly! For Caribbean trips, I can usually pack not only my SS plate, but the weighted STA too. Granted, I'm not bringing an SLR and housing, but I'd rather bring equipment to dive in than a heavy suitcase. If the gear is too heavy in a duffel, you can rent a luggage cart at the airport.

Last edited:
I'd get & travel with the Al BP....

I had forgotten about an STA. The wing has the "built in" type that worked well in the pool and I expect the same in SW. However, I do have a SS 1 piece STA I could mount. It would add more weight to carry on, and wouldn't be as adjustable as the cam band weights. Mmmm, decisions.

@wader: Your profile indicates that you are a very experienced diver ("I'm a Fish!" status). Treat your Fiji trip like any other diving trip.

I don't think he put "I'm a Fish" because he has exceeded 5000 dives on the 'logged dive' section. Read his full profile and it looks a lot more like a sub-50/100 dive holiday diver. He may not be particularly adept at fine-tuning his buoyancy.

I look at it this way:
I travel with gear often and if there are just 2 flights that my bags are overweight the cost will pay for a lightweight plate and some extras. A 6 lb SS plate is over 10% of a bags weight allowance. If I'm forced to use an extra bag it boils down the same way with luggage charges.
When I'm not flying and don't have to worry about extra charges I generally take my SS Plate.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom