BP/W choices

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NorthWoodsDiver:
Thanks for the tip. I was gonna ask you about those DSS plate weights anyway. Do they work with all brands? a couple people I know are moving in this same dirrection now and might be interested in getting those weights of yours? also do the weights work with doubles? thanks

DSS weight plates only fit DSS plates.

In doubles you can easily add weight to the rig by placing soft weight pouches between the wing and back plate.

Tobin

can you tell me the thickness of a DSS stainless steal plate (thousanths of an inch). Thanks

NorthWoodsDiver:
can you tell me the thickness of a DSS stainless steal plate (thousanths of an inch). Thanks

All of our SS plates are 11 ga, or about .118" thick

Tobin

do you make custom modifications to plates or make heavier gauge plates. Thanks

I have a Dive Rite transplate, and I am very happy with it. The shoulder pads do help with comfort when you have to walk far to your entry point and I feel the cross-chest strap makes everything more secure and help difuse the weight. But most important, the Dive Rite customer service is outstanding, those guys really know how to take care of their customers, which is in my book almost as important as the product they sell.

NorthWoodsDiver:
do you make custom modifications to plates or make heavier gauge plates. Thanks

Why would you require any changes to the plates we currently offer?

Tobin

Hey buddy I suggest going Golem for a singles setup. It's a rock solid wing and I havn't seen anything stronger. In addition to this the owner Jakub is a nice guy running a nice business. I dive the 35# stainless combo with my single 80. It's a horseshoe style wing.

Http://www.golemgear.com

On double LP85's I've been diving a Halycon eclipse 40# without the MC pack they try to sell. I like the wing so far but havn't got enough time on it to review it for you. The Golem feels stronger but I have no complaints yet about this donut shaped wing.

Can I recommend that you might not want to use the same plate/harness for your two different setups? There are a couple reasons in my opinion-first that if you end up using them with different exposure suits it's a big pain in the butt to adjust them (yes, yes, I'm lazy). Second, you might want to have the two plates weigh different amounts--as in, one is aluminum, one is steel, or one has an attached additional weight, and the other doesn't...this might especially be the case if you use a drysuit eventually with your doubles, which I think is a good idea anyway.

The moral of the story is, changing harnesses is lame. spring for two plates/harnesses, and you save time and energy

I already plan on having 2 completely seperate setups. Different plates, regs, wings, tanks, harnesses, everything. That way I dont need to change over hoses, weights, etc. Right now I am just not happy with the plates that are available on the market. many plates offer great features but none of them have all the best features.

I like the shape and style and hole patterns of the OMS plates, the possible comfort and thicker plate material that a hammerhead plate offers, The plastic harness gaurds and bolt on plate weight that DSS offers. You get the idea.

I am continuing my investigation and considering having a 2 custom plates made for me. I appreciate all your comments and ideas and please keep them commin

NorthWoodsDiver:
I already plan on having 2 completely seperate setups. Different plates, regs, wings, tanks, harnesses, everything. That way I dont need to change over hoses, weights, etc. Right now I am just not happy with the plates that are available on the market. many plates offer great features but none of them have all the best features.

I like the shape and style and hole patterns of the OMS plates, the possible comfort and thicker plate material that a hammerhead plate offers, The plastic harness gaurds and bolt on plate weight that DSS offers. You get the idea.

I am continuing my investigation and considering having a 2 custom plates made for me. I appreciate all your comments and ideas and please keep them commin

What plates have you used, and what leads you to your conclusions?

Tobin

Back
Top Bottom