BP/W banned in DM Course

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Exposure to different types of equipment can be a good learning experience.

However, during confined water it is important for at least one member of the instructional staff to have equipment similar enough to the students so skills can be demonstrated in the same manner that the students will perform them.

During open water it should not matter.

It would be interesting to understand why your instructor changed his mind. Was there further conversation, or did he see something he didn't expect?

But it's his class, so you did the right thing by complying. That doesn't mean you can't pursue the issue some more afterwords. You and he might both learn something. About each other if nothing else,

If you want to finish your course sooner and move on...then suck it up and finish the course. :)

If you want to make a stand, find a diff instructor who will welcome your setup.

I'm not saying sucking it up is right, but it's all about picking your battles and what is more important for you. Getting your DM cert sooner or wearing the gear you want to wear.

Good luck. May the force be with you.

As a Student, do what your Instructor wants. Everyone on this board can shoot arrows at your instructor for being narrow minded or whatever but it's still HIS course and you as a Student need to follow the Instructor's Rules.

What other problems are you having with the Course? In my experience, trivial complaints like this are indicators of other problems.

What would you have done?

Become an instructor and don't let any split finned, ankle weighted, poodle jacket wearing rototiller DMs anywhere near your students (who will all be in BP/Wing /w 7ft primary hose)
:D

As a Student, do what your Instructor wants.

As a customer, demand to be treated with respect and expect to get full value for money from the course you are paying that instructor to provide you.

DM is a course. You pay for it.

Personally, I wouldn't expect to get lectured or patronized from someone who I am paying to provide me with a service.

Instructor is meant to be a mentor, not a dictator.
Instructor is meant to be an educator, not blinkered and ignornant.

Everyone on this board can shoot arrows at your instructor for being narrow minded or whatever but it's still HIS course and you as a Student need to follow the Instructor's Rules.

Nope...its the student's course. It's funny how some 'professionals' forget that.

I would have found a different instructor, if possible. In fact, I did. I participated in the LA COUNTY ADP program a few years back and the mentality of the instructors was such that BP/w's and long hoses aren't for that program. (These days that is not the case anymore). Not a big deal, overall. In later years I came back to assist, as a reward for volunteering 14 weeks of your prime summer weekends you get NAUI DM training for just the cost of materials and exams. About the same time I took an Essentials class and decided I needed to learn diving all over again so I discontinued to NAUI DM program. Now I'm a UTD DM. There are two local shops that are SSI or PADI, to the core. They know me and I'm happy to say that in the near future I'll be working with them in some capacity as a UTD DM.

It really is, mostly, in how you project yourself and thus how the shop or instructor perceives yoru (or your stereotype). I never thought these shops would come around, but in casual discussions of the training, just diving perpetually, buying their kit, and so on, it presents a fresh take to diving and potential future oppurtunities for them to explore.

It is the instructor's prerogative to object to your equipment. But I hope he (or the shop) is planning on providing you with other equipment to use?

The argument that students will be confused by your gear is, in my experience, specious. I use a backplate and long hose in OW, and have yet to have any student even appear to notice that my gear is different from theirs. They're generally so overloaded managing their OWN stuff, I don't think they even look at mine :) (I know I had no idea what equipment my instructors used, or whether it was like mine.)

Issues like this were part of the reason I didn't move to DM until my husband was an instructor and could run my class.

I think Lynn is spot on. Students are so busy with their own stuff that they have no idea what you are wearing.

I dive a BP&W all the time. I use a standard reg in the pool where I'm demo'ing and switch to the long hose config in the OW. My helpers use whatever they want.

But, the safety of Openwater students is the instructor's responsibility not that of a DM in Training. If the instructor wants everyone dressed alike so be it. It's his class - shortsighted or not. I may not agree with it but I respect it as the instructors prerogative with his class and his ass.

I would however argue that in the DM course skill evaluations if you want to use your gear you should be allowed to.

But, the safety of Openwater students is the instructor's responsibility not that of a DM in Training. If the instructor wants everyone dressed alike so be it. It's his class - shortsighted or not. I may not agree with it but I respect it as the instructors prerogative with his class and his ass.

I don't think the instructor is being fair at all.

We know the OP is wearing BP/W, but would the instructor also ban a Scubapro Knighthawk, or SeaQuest Black Diamond or even a Zeagle Stilletto? All are back inflate/ semi wing BCD's.

Where is the line?

I would behave as the professional you are aspiring to become ... which in this case would be to explain to the instructor in as pleasant a manner as possible that you appreciate his concerns, and are willing to comply with the terms he sets for his class ... but that once you've completed the DM training you'll be pursuing any additional training with an instructor who is more agreeable to your personal goals and diving style.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I don't think the instructor is being fair at all.

We know the OP is wearing BP/W, but would the instructor also ban a Scubapro Knighthawk, or SeaQuest Black Diamond or even a Zeagle Stilletto? All are back inflate/ semi wing BCD's.

Where is the line?

When I'm teaching a class what I say goes. There's no room for being "Fair" in being Safe.

Again - I'm an advocate of BP&W and I like for my students to wear them. But the instructor is in charge and what he says goes. In this case, I think most of us think he's nuts but it's his class.

Our OP should look take a positive spin from this. A good diver/DM should be able to grab any gear config off a shelf and dive it proficiently. So this is good practice with alternate configs.

Back
Top Bottom