Boyton Beach

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LiteHedded:
might have to rent my tanks up here before I drive down.
20 bucks is a bit much
That's for 2 tanks - $10 - each.

They may not be the cheapest, but they're one of the best I've gone with anywhere.

P1010946_edited.jpg
[/IMG]

Now the Mantra...I MUST DIVE....I MUST DIVE...I MUST DIVE...:11doh:

BIGSAGE136:
P1010946_edited.jpg
[/IMG]

Now the Mantra...I MUST DIVE....I MUST DIVE...I MUST DIVE...:11doh:

That looks like the Captain Tony with a WAL :wink:

howarde:
That's for 2 tanks - $10 - each.

They may not be the cheapest, but they're one of the best I've gone with anywhere.
hey if you're a poor broke student cheap matters!
:D
I think I'll book it for tomorrow morning
anyone know how much time I should allow from orlando? it's a bit further than west palm right?

edit: oh wait looks like a wreck and reef tomorrow morning. 75' is about the deepest I've been. I'm very comfortable in the water but will they let me go with just OW?

LiteHedded:
hey if you're a poor broke student cheap matters!
:D
I think I'll book it for tomorrow morning
anyone know how much time I should allow from orlando? it's a bit further than west palm right?

edit: oh wait looks like a wreck and reef tomorrow morning. 75' is about the deepest I've been. I'm very comfortable in the water but will they let me go with just OW?
It's about 20 minutes past WPB -

I would allow about 3 hours for the drive.

Yes - they WILL let you dive it with basic OW. The wrecks are above 90' and the DM (a SB'er - scubakevdm) will descend to the wreck, and tie off a line. He will come back up, and brief you on the conditions, and then you'll descned on a line to the wreck. It's cake.

Also... If you're going to rent tanks up in Orlando... Just keep in mind, that they (splashdown) usually have really good fills. AL80's pumped to 3200 psi or more. (that's like an 85 :wink:)

howarde:
It's about 20 minutes past WPB -

I would allow about 3 hours for the drive.

Yes - they WILL let you dive it with basic OW. The wrecks are above 90' and the DM (a SB'er - scubakevdm) will descend to the wreck, and tie off a line. He will come back up, and brief you on the conditions, and then you'll descned on a line to the wreck. It's cake.

Also... If you're going to rent tanks up in Orlando... Just keep in mind, that they (splashdown) usually have really good fills. AL80's pumped to 3200 psi or more. (that's like an 85 :wink:)
so you think it would be a pretty safe first deep (ish) wreck dive?
are they not drift dives?

LiteHedded:
so you think it would be a pretty safe first deep (ish) wreck dive?
are they not drift dives?
The wreck dive is NOT a drift dive.

If the current is TOO strong, he will abort the wreck, and you'll do 2 reef - drift dives. The reef is at 60-65 FSW, and if you go in the afternoon, you should be able to dive with Peter (and get your picture taken) - he's very experienced on the reef. Drift diving is great!

As for the wreck... If there is mild to moderate current... REMEMBER that in the hull of the wreck (open on top) there will be less current, than on the outside of the ship. This is NOT a penetration, the hull is open... If the current is moderate... ususally I swim in the hull to one end of the wreck, then check out the outside of the wreck, drift to the back, then swim back into the hull and maybe do it again. You'll love it. If you're doing the Captain Tony (like the picture Sage posted) it's in 87 FSW at the sand... You can comfortably see a lot of the wreck at 75-80'

howarde:
The wreck dive is NOT a drift dive.

If the current is TOO strong, he will abort the wreck, and you'll do 2 reef - drift dives. The reef is at 60-65 FSW, and if you go in the afternoon, you should be able to dive with Peter (and get your picture taken) - he's very experienced on the reef. Drift diving is great!

As for the wreck... If there is mild to moderate current... REMEMBER that in the hull of the wreck (open on top) there will be less current, than on the outside of the ship. This is NOT a penetration, the hull is open... If the current is moderate... ususally I swim in the hull to one end of the wreck, then check out the outside of the wreck, drift to the back, then swim back into the hull and maybe do it again. You'll love it. If you're doing the Captain Tony (like the picture Sage posted) it's in 87 FSW at the sand... You can comfortably see a lot of the wreck at 75-80'
no penetration is good.
i wont get buddied up with someone planning on penetrating and then tell them I won't go in.
it sounds like a blast.
how do you do the safety stop? holding onto the line like a flagpole? :D

and I've done plenty of drift diving on reefs in west palm. seems like this year i've been hauling all my crap down to west palm like every other weekend :D
this will be my first time checking out what all the fuss is about in boynton

LiteHedded:
no penetration is good.
i wont get buddied up with someone planning on penetrating and then tell them I won't go in.
it sounds like a blast.
how do you do the safety stop? holding onto the line like a flagpole? :D

and I've done plenty of drift diving on reefs in west palm. seems like this year i've been hauling all my crap down to west palm like every other weekend :D
this will be my first time checking out what all the fuss is about in boynton

Just tell them that you need a buddy, and how many dives you have, etc.

You'll see that the current in Boynton is not as strong as in WPB. The gulfstream dips in really close to shore in WPB, but it's still out a ways in Boynton.

Let me know how you like it... and tell Lynn (captain) that I sent you (then they'll be extra nice - hopefully) :wink:

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom