Boynton Dive Ops

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tekkydiver

Contributor
Reaction score
Many vessels are not always monitoring VHF radio.

Just a suggestion, instead of getting on VHF 16 and calling a Sécurité and announcing you have divers in the water, try flying a dive flag visible 360 degrees rather than that piddly thing in the transom. Might even get one of those 3'X5' flags which are very effective for alerting approaching vessels you have divers in the water.

That said, as of Saturday, water temp 77 at the surface, viz was marginal 25-30'. Expect water temp to drop this week.

Happy New Year

Tues and wed water was crystal blue and viz about 80 out of BB.
Gorgeous.
Pretty sure I was not run over by any boats.
Anyway, most of us pull flags on the surface quite a distance away from the boat. Different groups and solo divers get dropped in different spots and we all get pretty spread out by the time all our air runs out.

Hi @tekkydiver,

Out of context, I did not understand your post

Thanks for the conditions report, I will be down later this week
I'm out on the water the other day and I saw one of the local cattleboats. Let's just say it was not in compliance with Dive Flag Laws, but the Capt. was on VHF 16 hailing all vessels to be aware he had divers in the water. Of course he didn't allude on how to identify his vessel.... Just think it would be safer to fly a 3'x5' dive flag from his flying bridge. it would be hard to miss.
Weatherman says we might have a frost by the end of the week, though my guess we may see low 40's. A couple of fronts are pushing through. Water temp may dip to low 70's. Vis and seas are anyone's guess

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom