boynton beach with 'Deeper' dive report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sportxlh

Contributor
Reaction score
formerly Palm Beach Gardens, FL: now Atlanta
# of dives
500 - 999
Westpalmdiver and I did a two tank dive in the Boynton Beach area on Saturday on the Á¥eeper operated by DCI: a first for both of us. Most of our dives have been in WPB and Jupiter with an occasional trip to Key Largo. I must say that the Boynton Beach reefs are gorgeous. They reminded me of Key Largo more than Jupiter or WPB given the soft coral and sponges. We dove the western side of the reefs on both dives while the hunters were dropped on the eastern and deeper side of the reefs. The two sites included Catacomb and Delray reef. The height from the sand to the top of the ledges varied from 10 to 20 feet with Delray being taller. The current was minimal and almost non-existent on the Delray reef, which both of us liked since it gave us a chance to slow and observe nooks and crannies and overhangs on the reef. Sometimes it is hard to remain stationary in WPB and Jupiter unless you face into the current and kick like crazy given the current strength. Tropical fish proliferated and we were treated to an occasional moray eel and lobster. The highlights were the turtles, one of which exited from under the ledge, almost as if it were on cue, and allowed us to get a pretty good video. Unlike Jupiter and WPB, it seems that DMs donÃÕ dive in Boynton: rather teams of divers each tow a float/dive flag. That also worked well for us since we could proceed easily at our own pace without worrying about holding up others. The DM/deck hand, Nancy, was top rate and the entire trip was enjoyable. I have posted a brief montage on youtube.

YouTube - turtle shark angelfish trumpet fish & more diving Boynton Beach

While WPB and especially Jupiter are convenient for me (I can roll out of bed and be a JDC in 15 minutes), I am sure I will make my way to Boynton again given the incredible beauty of the reef system.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom